Deadlift's Reviews > No Angel: My Harrowing Undercover Journey to the Inner Circle of the Hells Angels

No Angel by Jay Dobyns

Nov 13, 2011

did not like it

No Angel was mostly a burden to read. I am proud I did not give Dobyns any money for this publication (rented it from the local library). No Angel brings you into the bizarre world of a self-delusion, self-aggrandizing Federal Agent who takes bizarre pleasure in deceiving others in the name of convoluted moral Crusading which of course is done entirely on your dime. This book takes you on a journey of a man who honors the butcherers at Waco as he fear mongers the general public to what amounts to a few veterans bypassing bureacratic red tape and selling a few guns amongst one another. The worst part is the almost sociopathic and always annoying way in which Dobyns analyzes and condescends essentially every single person he meets in a childish manner. The emotional reactions to some situations and people (like jealousy over the reaction his squad had over a team mate leaving) is reminiscent of a high school student. And of course the Hells Angels are demonized as "racist" because they prefer Skynyrd over hip hop and other nefarious social taboos like sexism. Someone who knows human nature can read between the lines of much of this investigation, such as how Dobyns clearly sleeps with an inebriated woman and indulged in rampant drug use. His case was a complete failure and an embarassment and yet the single useful moment of the investigation (where a local cop, unaware he was being taped, threatened to kill him) went unprosecuted. Dobyns even goes so far as to scold local and state law enforcement for their approach to due processes and not being aggressive enough in undermining civil liberties in an effort to make quotas, get promotions, or in this case, sell books. No Angel sheds great light on destructive Federal spending (think Operation Fast N Furious) and spotlights a criminal organization - the ATF.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read No Angel.

06/27/2016 marked as: read

message 1: by Bob (new) - rated it 5 stars

Bob Clarkson I'd be curiou to know which side of the political spectrum you take. When Civil Liberties trumps all, anarchy triumphs because the psychos who hide behind those civil liberties feel that their "Civil Liberties" are the only ones that count.

They forceably take what they want, and if challenged feel they are perfectly within their right to steal property and punish those who oppose them with beatings, mutilations or death - and do so with impunity.

They are traitors to the ideal of the American way.

As an apologist for these psycho cowards, pray you or your family never get your toes run over.

message 2: by Dr. (new) - rated it 2 stars

Dr. Did you forget the part where a couple of these guys beat, raped, murdered and then attempted to behead a mother of three?

Deadlift Did you forget the guy has a tattoo which honors the butchers at Waco who burned mothers and their children alive? I don't believe allegations made by a meth addled agent which didn't hold up in court. Consider the source.

My family is much more likely to get killed by a law enforcement agent than a biker.

message 4: by Dr. (new) - rated it 2 stars

Dr. "This book takes you on a journey of a man who honors the butcherers at Waco as he fear mongers the general public to what amounts to a few veterans bypassing bureacratic red tape and selling a few guns amongst one another."

I think Jay Dobyns is a real ass too, just think your quote above is a little ridiculous and flippantly dismisses some serious crimes.

message 5: by Mike (new) - rated it 1 star

Mike Nelson Your comments sum up my own thoughts on this terrible piece of writing quite well.