Damaris (GoodChoiceReading)'s Reviews > Masque of the Red Death

Masque of the Red Death by Bethany Griffin

Mar 29, 12

bookshelves: must-read, worth-buying, favorites, for-review, cannot-wait
Read from March 13 to 17, 2012

This book was AMAZING! I jumped into it and I didn't want to come out. The writing was excellent. A lot happens in the first couple of chapters, it’s hard not to keep reading. The story is told from Araby’s point of view and her story is so dark and scary; I don’t think I could survive in her world.

First, I feel I should mention that there is drug use in this book, not a specific drug, but the main character is so broken that she uses drugs once or twice to escape her life. I actually reached out to the author about this because I wanted to be sure. It's not big in the story, but it is there. Other than this, the book is pretty much clean.

This is the first time where I wished the author wrote the story from multiple points of views. I loved every single character. They each get a small break down in the book about their past and what's their story, but I would have loved to been inside their heads. There is a slight love triangle, but it was done so well that when I was done reading I was still swooning over both males.

The one thing that stuck out to me the most about Araby, was her compassion for others. Even though she was so broken inside and came from a pretty wealthy life, she still found it in her to think of others and help others. Although, this was also a bad thing, because at times she was very gullible, but it was written very well that in the end it just made her look like a strong character. While I was reading I was so into Araby’s world and her emotions that I instantly felt a connection to her. She is very relatable.

Araby shut herself off from the world around her after the death of her twin brother. In a mistaken attempt to honor her deceased brother, Araby decides to not fall in love or enter into any type of relationship because her brother is not around to do the same. This is another example of how deeply Araby feels. She is willing to forgo having any happy feelings in her life because she has this deep, albeit misguided, guilt about the circumstances surrounding her brother’s death.

Masque of the Red Death is a well plotted book with great, great, characters and a very imaginative world. I recommend it to anyone who is looking for something dark and edgy with a great pace and consistent world building. I really enjoyed it!

5 out of 5 stars!
5 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Masque of the Red Death.

03/13/2012 page 1
03/14/2012 page 22
7.0% "Um, I am a little confused here LOL Anyone who's read this book care to help clear something up for me?" 2 comments
03/15/2012 page 135
42.0% "This book is so good!"
03/17/2012 page 304
95.0% "Noooooo! I am almost at the end! Dragging it out! Sooooooooooooo goooooooooodddd!!!!!!!!!!"
show 1 hidden update…

message 1: by Okie (new) - added it

Okie Can't wait to read!

Damaris (GoodChoiceReading) It was so good!!!

Wendy Darling Yay, I'm so glad you enjoyed it!

Damaris (GoodChoiceReading) I really liked it. Amanda doesn't understand why I liked Elliott so much ahaha

Wendy Darling Oh, I think Elliott is interesting. He's definitely the bad boy, but I bet there's stuff we don't know about him yet!