Lisa Capanelli's Reviews > Barefoot in November

Barefoot in November by Benjamin J. Carey

Nov 13, 11

I own a copy

Carey's brash prose and honesty should not be taken for "arrogance". His fierceness and ambition are to be admired, and his imperfections are answered with as many instances in which he pours out his heart and shows his sensitive side. I was intrigued after seeing the author's interview on the Larry Davidson show and was not surprised to find dozens of good reviews on the book. It never ceases to amaze me though when a handful of people refer to someone who's almost lost their life as "arrogant". I almost didn't buy Matt Long's "The Long Run" because of a few such reviews on that book. I'm a runner and I'm glad I wasn't persuaded by the reviews who similarly referred to Matt as "Arrogant" and "Conceited". Running the NYC Marathon for a healthy person is an accomplishment let alone by someone who's almost died.

I downloaded Barefoot in November on my kindle, and was captivated by this man's reflections on his brush with death. I cried reading the part where his son greets him at the door on his return home from the hospital, and the passage when his newborn slept on his chest. This is not an "arrogant" man. The story is at once heartbreaking and triumphant. I read a review that criticizes the book as being a collection of "diary entries", but I enjoyed how the book was divided into "memories" preceded by relevant quotes. I appreciated the uniqueness over the traditional chapter 1,2,3 format. After seeing the interview I was not disappointed by the book, and it makes me feel good that a percentage of what I paid for it will go to a heart charity. Hearing Carey talk about his alcoholism, childhood struggles, and near death made me want to learn more about him. I will definitely be anticipating his next book.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Barefoot in November.