All Things Urban Fantasy's Reviews > The Mortal Bone

The Mortal Bone by Marjorie M. Liu

Jan 21, 12

bookshelves: reviewed-by-julia
Read in January, 2012

While I am a big fan of the whole Hunter Kiss series, I have always had a particular soft spot for Maxine's boys. THE MORTAL BONE is their book, and I could not be happier with it. The seismic upsets of A WILD LIGHT are still sending out little aftershocks, but THE MORTAL BONE is one of the most linear and accessible books in the series. Not that it won't test your assumptions, not that it won't break your heart... but it will do so in a straightforward and easy to follow manner.

It's always hard for series books to get five bats for me, as handing a copy to a friend usually means “Here, read this and all the preceding books.” And while I went back and forth between four and five bats for THE MORTAL BONE, I can say with no hesitation that it is my favorite book of the series thus far. Maxine and Grant have reached a new level of relaxation in their relationship and it is a pleasure to see them together. Furthermore, Maxine’s relationship with her boys is the main focus of this story, offering both familiar comedic relief as well as a new perspective on the inner lives of each demon. Though it is common for books to contain either a complicated mythological world or emotionally compelling characters, THE MORTAL BONE manages to achieve both. Furthermore, despite the complexity of the plot leading up to this book, Liu made it easy to re-orient myself to her series. Though I wouldn’t recommend that someone new to Hunter Kiss start with THE MORTAL BONE, if you have wandered away from the series or aren’t sure if you remember enough to continue, you’ll find it very easy to understand the absolute emotional high stakes that are at hand. Maxine's family, her world and her future are all on the line.

Hunter Kiss is a series with a complex world inhabited by infinitely complicated characters. In THE MORTAL BONE in particular, the nature of good, the burden of forgiveness and the reality of protective, familial love all come into play as old wars and immortal enemies return. Maxine is the conduit that takes this exotic struggle and brings it down to a human level, a mechanism that utterly succeeded in putting this complex magical war into terms that I could relate to. Amidst all the magic and the life or death struggles there is laughter and hope and a future waiting to be born. The next Hunter Kiss book will be an instant pre-order as soon as it comes to light, as much to find out the fate of humanity as a love for Maxine's little family, both human and non.

Sexual Content: Kissing and references to sex.
2 likes • Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Mortal Bone.