Jade's Reviews > Dracula

Dracula by Bram Stoker

Nov 13, 11

Read in January, 2008

I absolutely adored Dracula by Bram Stoker. I think a lot of this adoration is because this story wasn't what I expected. I knew this was obviously about a vampire, but the story itself is nothing like what the media has portrayed. Dracula is an entertaining adventure and I never knew exactly what was going to happen next because Count Dracula always seemed to be ahead of the story's heroes. I think the epistolary style of this novel helps with this effect--the reader has insight to everyone who's entries are utilized, but by only using journal entries it helps the reader actually get into the adventure. The journal entry style also helps with the tension and confusion because the characters are scrambling and therefore so is the reader and because the narrator never knows what's happening neither does the reader. If this were told through third person, the effect wouldn't be as great.

I love the first night of Harker's stay at Dracula's castle when he writes, "I am all in a sea of wonders. I doubt; I fear; I think strange things which I dare not confess to my own soul. God keep me, if only for the sake of those dear to me," (23). This quote jumped out to me because up until this point I hadn't detected anything too strange in his account. At this point, the reader is informed that this whole experience is a bit unusual and Harker actually feels uneasy even to the point of asking God to keep him from danger.

I love this book and would encourage everyone to read it. I'm amazed at how different this story is, especially to everything else written around this time period. I love the different points of views and techniques he used in this story. For example, the epistolary style. To be able to successfully write letters and make sure each character is different and unique in their entries is difficult. I also like that Stoker got creative and used journal entries, telegrams, and a phonograph recording to tell his story. If I ever choose to write in the epistolary style I definitely want to use Stoker's Dracula as a reference to emulate and use towards my own writing.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Dracula.