Beth's Reviews > Under Wraps

Nov 13, 2011

it was ok
bookshelves: fantasy, fiction, modern-fantasy
Read from November 23 to December 03, 2011 , read count: 1

The opening was great, the setting interesting, the mystery good but after awhile the heroine got on my nerves. I know she's an average person not used to danger but the dithering really got on my nerves after awhile. Also not happy that her intriguing boss was off stage most of the book and seems unlikely to return in future books -- though I'm hoping I'm wrong about that point.

I don't know how long the author has been writing. If she's new, then I suspect things will improve with time. For example, the heroine had been unable to deter a troll-suitor for a long time yet at the end of the book when it's convenient, Steve finally decides to move on. Little details like that are such cliches that a more experienced author could finesse.

That said, I will keep an eye on this author. I adore Sherrilyn Kenyon's work but "Fantasy Lover" and her first Dark Hunter novel were a touch more heavy handed than the later books became because she grew in skill and confidence as the series went on. I'm hoping for the same with Hannah Jayne.

Over all a good read but I recommend Kenyon, Gail Carriger and Patricia Briggs much more highly.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Under Wraps.