Tom's Reviews > Packing for Mars: The Curious Science of Life in the Void

Packing for Mars by Mary Roach

Dec 15, 11

bookshelves: non-fiction

I really liked Mary Roach's quirky, wide-eyed approach to discussing space and the problems involved in living in it. NASA, JAXA, and the other agencies tend to show their astronauts as more than human, as these superhuman beings that brave existence to further science (and all with an adventurous spirit). Without taking away from the awe, Roach found a way to bring it all back down to Earth, so to speak, and discuss the very real, human side of the entire enterprise. After reading her book, I find it rather astounding we have ever made it into outer space at all, let alone repeatedly.

One thing that really stood out in this book was the way that she was clearly having fun the entire time. She really liked the people she talked to, she really liked the material she was learning about, and she loved the stories of people being people, whether it was down in NASA's think tanks or up on the moon.

"Packing for Mars" speaks to the adventurous kid in all of us, and I definitely recommend this for any fans of science, humorous or otherwise.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Packing for Mars.