Diana (Mrs. Barrons)'s Reviews > Graceling

Graceling by Kristin Cashore

Dec 12, 2011

bookshelves: fantasy, series
Read from December 09 to 12, 2011

I don't like to give reviews for my 5 star books. Usually I save 5 stars for the books that really draw me in. That pull at me and refuse to let go. This was such a book. The world is set as a mythical place with 7 kingdoms, where some people are born Graced. To be Graced means that you are born with the a super ability, whether it is an extraordinary talent for shooting arrows, singing, sewing, etc. Katsa, or Graced heroine, is the quintessential strong heroine. Her Grace gives her strength in fighting. She can take down any man in the kingdom, which makes her a perfect weapon, often used by the king for his own personal bullying. But still she is kind and finds a way to use her Grace to help others in need.

The story starts with an adventure right out the gate, and right away our dear Katsa meets our mysterious Prince Po. I have to say I fell in love right away. He's so charming, but in such a genuine way, that you can't help rooting for her. The story has character growth for both Katsa and Po, changing them as the story unveils.

My only gripe is the authors anti-marriage, anti-baby view. I enjoyed how it played out in the story. The girl knows what she wants, and no one will take that from her.

(view spoiler)
2 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Graceling.

12/10/2011 page 223
47.0% "I think Katsa is my all time favorite heroine. Yes, I think she's better than Katniss."
show 1 hidden update…

Mandy Oooh interested to hear what you think...took me a bit to get into but then I was hooked. Didn't hurt that I totally used Michael Fassbender as my own personal "Po"

Diana (Mrs. Barrons) Is it wrong that I had to google who that was? :-) So far I'm on page 30, so nothing really happened yet, but I'll def be updating reviews when it gets going.

Mandy I totally even had a friend color a photo so his eyes would match the character. You'll see ;)

Diana (Mrs. Barrons) Though IMDB says he's 34, his pictures look like he's at least 44. Don't think he's my type :-/ Gonna have to find someone else to picture in the role I think.

Mandy Haha the beauty if reading is that you can totally do that :) Fully custom experience. Lemme know who you end up going with!

Mandy So so glad you're loving this so far!

Diana (Mrs. Barrons) I have about 30 pages left till its all over. I am so sad. I think Katsa is one of my all time favorite heroines, and I adore Po. I will be writing a detailed review tonight I think though its so hard to write a review on a book you really loved.

Feel free to give me recommendations of other books you've loved!

Mandy Yeah I was shocked how much I adored this book...can't wait to read your review!

★Ruth★ Gonna have to find someone else to picture in the role I think.......I went for Orlando Bloom in Pirates! Really enjoyed this...looking forward to Bitterblue