Yvonne's Reviews > Marathon Cowboys

Nov 18, 11

it was ok
bookshelves: m-m, loaned-book
Read from November 17 to 18, 2011

2.5 Stars I think this book had something to say about art & artists and how it can consume a person but as a romance, it kind of sucked The writing was fine for the most part, but half the time I couldn't figure out who was saying what. If I have to keep backtracking to figure it out then it will take me out of the story.

While Jesse and Maryboy are interesting characters we don't get to know them very well. Maryboy is a former marine and Native American who wants to be a cartoonist. I don't think we really learn much more than that. Jesse comes across as spoiled and selfish & it's vaguely mentioned he has a past history of using & discarding men & sleeping with his models. He lies to Mary about the status of his relationship with Sam, and doesn't hesitate to use Mary as well. In fact, I think what he does is pretty despicable.

(view spoiler)

To make matters worse, Jesse doesn't really change the shallow self centered person he appears to be to win Maryboy back. Instead we have the everything is forgiven because someone is in the hospital scene. (I'll have to find that listopia & add this book to that list) Maryboy just crumbles and does everything Jesse wants and that's how the issue is resolved. It was very unsatisfying.

Jesse gets called on his lies about Sam, his manager, and he responds by saying Maryboy is too controlling. There's more but I'll just say that by the last third of this book I wasn't rooting for this relationship. I think this book is OK for those who can get behind the thinking that the end justifies the means, artists are self centered people & it's fine if they use people to get what they want and if you like lukewarm one sided romance.
(view spoiler)

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Marathon Cowboys.

11/17/2011

message 1: by Lacey (last edited Nov 18, 2011 12:42PM) (new)

Lacey (view spoiler)

Oh, hell no!!

To make matters worse, Jesse doesn't really change the shallow self centered person he appears to be to win Maryboy back. Instead we have the everything is forgiven because someone is in the hospital scene...Maryboy just crumbles and does everything Jesse wants and that's how the issue is resolved. It was very unsatisfying.

Ok, after these two statements, this one is definitely off my list. And this is just icing on the cake:

(view spoiler)

Thanks for the warning, Yvonne!

Yvonne You're welcome Lacey. Is there anyway you could hide those quotes and put them under the spoiler tag?

Bubbles  Hunty Honest & Direct Opinions See that's why I hated them together. Totally one sided and Mary just a doormat. Nothing's even said to make it seem like the artist will do an exclusive relationship. But it's made clear Mary will forgive him for Anything

message 4: by Lacey (new)

Lacey Yvonne wrote: "You're welcome Lacey. Is there anyway you could hide those quotes and put them under the spoiler tag?"

Woops!! All fixed now :)

message 5: by L-D (new) - rated it 3 stars

L-D Totally agree with your review. I didn't like Jesse and did not think he deserved Maryboy

GymGuy Is couldn't agree more with your review.

I think this is a very sorry attempt at a political statement.