Julie's Reviews > The Bachman Books: Four Early Novels

The Bachman Books by Richard Bachman

Dec 19, 11

Read from November 13 to December 18, 2011

Set of 4 novellas (though since the book is almost 700 pages, it feels like 4 full books) of early Stephen King novels published under his pseudonym.
Rage - Might be the weakest book, about a kid who takes his class hostage with unexpected results. For some reason, this felt the most dated. It might have been the lingo or the unrealistic reactions from the class, but as someone who was a teenager during the Columbine shootings, something rang false.
The Long Walk - Great concept about a competition where whoever walks the longest wins. If you fall, you are shot immediately. It's a classic.
Roadwork - This is the only novella that I don't think I've read before. Its a sometimes draggy story on a guy whose house and business is getting demolished due to a new highway interchange being constructed, and who takes a stand. Interesting story.
The Running Man - yet another classic, and I even do like the Ah-nuld Schwarzenegger movie, even though it has nothing to do with the book. Yet another story about a futuristic and sadistic contest, and it holds your interest throughout.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Bachman Books.

11/13/2011 page 108