Kate's Reviews > I'll Be There

I'll Be There by Holly Goldberg Sloan

Jan 25, 2016

bookshelves: realistic, teen, favorites, middle-school
Read in November, 2011

I mostly loved this book, thought the writing was beautiful and spare, and the story and characters intriguing and real. Some minor exceptions:

I never felt connected to Sam and Emily's relationship. I liked them both individually as characters, and felt their pain, especially Sam's. But there just wasn't enough of THEM for me to really believe in the intensity of their feelings for each other.
WTF happened to Bobby? At first he just seemed like a flawed but sympathetic character, but by the end Sloan was dishing out some serious hurt on him, and it just seemed all out of proportion.
I felt like the third person omniscient kept me at a level above the action and emotion. Perhaps this was a device used to reinforce the difficulty of true connection, IDK. There was one weird moment where it switched to first person plural from the point of view of BEARS. I couldn't decide if that was awesome or just unsettling.

Loved Riddle and Sam. Father was terrifying. I keep thinking about this book; it's still ringing in my head, and I take that as a good sign.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read I'll Be There.

Melyssa Williams I was going to review but can I just say "ditto" after reading yours? I enjoyed this book a lot. The bear page weirded me out a bit too, though.

Kate Thanks for the ditto! :) Yeah, I really enjoyed this book as well.

message 3: by [deleted user] (new)

May I ditto the ditto? haha :)

Heather Harrison I actually thought the bear section was hilarious.