Amy L. Campbell's Reviews > Scarlet

Scarlet by A.C. Gaughen

Jan 13, 12

bookshelves: netgalley, 2012, advanced-copy, blogged, ebook, reviewed
Read from January 09 to 13, 2012

Note: Advance Reader Copy provided by Netgalley.

Although the premise of the story and the storyline itself was interesting, Gaughen's timing in revealing certain information from the reader was a bit off and the repetition of the words "mug" and "were" made it a bit jarring to read. Had Gaughen limited the usage of "were" to Scarlet's speech it would have achieved the same affect she was going for without being distracting to the reader, especially once we learned (relatively early) of Scarlet's noble upbringing. Once this occurred, it was even more distracting to me because I couldn't figure out why she spoke so roughly when even John Little used "was". Perhaps if Gaughen had gone even further with the common English of the time and varied Scarlet's vocabulary I would have found it more enjoyable.

I did enjoy the complexity of Scarlet's relationship with Gisbourne, but again the timing was off with this and too much was revealed too early. I suppose this gave more for Scarlet to whine/angst about, but it just made the final pay off seem a bit overwrought and anticlimactic at the same time. Meanwhile the love triangle with John Little/Scarlet/Robin Hood felt pretty weak as the characters felt like carbon copies of each other with slight differences in how and why they were moody. John Little was likable, except his flirtation bordered on handsy creepster, but then Robin Hood came off as a sanctimonious victim blamer.

Having said all that, this novel will certainly have its readers and was not a bad first attempt. Gaughen has the makings of a strong storyteller if she can just work a bit more on the timing so that the payoff actually feels like a payoff.
1 like · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Scarlet.