Katie's Reviews > The Guardian

The Guardian by Sherrilyn Kenyon

Dec 12, 11

liked it
bookshelves: audio, audio-and-paper, alpha-type-hero, paranormal
Read from December 08 to 11, 2011

Most of my 3 star ratings come from books that I have an "ehhh" kind of opinion towards. The book wasn't great, but it wasn't bad either. In the case of The Guardian by Sherrilyn Kenyon my 3 star rating is in 2 parts. Those of it which were fan-freaking-tastic, and the parts I wanted to either jump in the book and kick the heroine in the head, or simply toss it in the trash (with force) and hope last night's dinner was smeared on a page when she was acting like an idiot.

Seth is the "guardian" of the hell realm Asmodia (sp?). In his time there he has been through unfathomable torture. He has no idea how long he's been there, he has no hope for anything, he has never known happiness, joy or love. His only wish is to be left alone for a few hours. When he is given a task by his lord and master he agrees to interrogate (torture) another for information on The Key to Olympus. In hopes that it will give him just a few precious hours of peace from his master's cruelty he agrees. Intro Lydia. Lydia's father has been kidnapped and taken to Asmodia. In order to save him, Lydia breaks into the hell realm and to her dismay is discovered by The Guardian who takes her as his own prisoner.

Seth was an outstanding character. A true tortured hero. I felt several times while reading still in the first half of the book "hallelujah, Kenyon's finally back". I have missed her so... Her recent books, to put it mildly have really disappointed me. Which is why I was so elated when we were given Seth. True to his bad ass, tortured hero nature he didn't trust easily. The guy had been in a hell realm, repeatedly tortured since he was 13 years old. This is later determined to be 4500 years ago!

Lydia began as an admirable heroine. She broke into hell to save her father, only to be captured and held by the scary, gorgeous Guardian. After being together a couple days Lydia and Seth begin to form a common respect, which eventually grows into lust and then love. I was all good with Lydia up until about 2/3 through the book. At that point she has identified (to herself) her feelings for Seth, they have escaped the underworld and are getting to know each other in none-hell surroundings. A post coital comment Seth makes throws her into a rage so intense she insults him repeatedly and then notifies him that his lack of social skills leads her to believe that he was raised by monkeys. Seriously??? This poor guy has been tortured for 4500 years. He HAS NO social skills! These actions by Lydia completely threw in and reminded me the biggest reason Kenyon disappoints me. She has a severe weakness in creating likable heroines. Lydia, though she began as a decent representation of the kind of female Seth deserved, in the end she flopped. I think Kenyon writes these female characters as to come off "feisty" and "witty" and "strong" but in my opinion they're simply shrewish, bitchy and insensitive. For the love of Zeus, give these men the kind of females they deserve!

I look back to the characters of Bride and Maggie and Astrid with dreamy expectation that someday our old Dark/Were/Dream Hunter books will return. I know Sherrilyn Kenyon is a great writer. I just feel that the Dark Hunter series beast is a bit out of control. Twentysome books in a series is quite a bit. Maybe it's time to hit the prime characters that we've been getting to know for years and think about hanging it up, instead of constantly creating new ones and dragging the series out in repetitiousness.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Guardian.