Bethypage42's Reviews > The Brothers K

The Brothers K by David James Duncan

Jun 02, 08

bookshelves: recommended-reading, favorite-authors
Recommended to Bethypage42 by: who knows, but I thank them
Recommended for: anyone with a family
Read in January, 1998

Everyone who has read this book on my recomendation---loved it.
A chronicle of the unlikely Chance family. Dad is a baseball player who never quite made it to the bigs. Mom is a seventh day adventist who wants her boys to walk a more traditional path. Everett is the oldest, a contrarian with a need for the spotlight. Peter is the quiet (but wise?) child who is seeking enlightenment. Kinkaid, the narrator. Irwin, the lovable moron. And the twins, Freddie & Bet (both girls) who want to be scientists.
Set in the turbulent sixties, this novel is a joy to read. It starts well, but then gets better and better. An insightful look at family, politics, and baseball. Destined to become an American classic.
1 like • Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Brothers K.

Mary Fahnlander I remember reading this at your suggestion some years ago and liking it. Now I want to re-read it. Thanks for the prompt.

Bethypage42 I've got a copy I'll give it to you when you get to town- not that you'll have much time to read in the near future!

Mary Fahnlander Call or just come over. We're probably leaving by 4pm today so we get back in time to see the Celtics. We cleaned out the garage yesterday. There's stuff on the wall under the old kitchen cabinets for you and Pat to look thru b/4 we give it to Goodwill. Love you.