V. Briceland's Reviews > Is Everyone Hanging Out Without Me?

Is Everyone Hanging Out Without Me? by Mindy Kaling

Dec 04, 13

Read on November 13, 2011

A quick warning about an otherwise good book: the last third of The Office writer Kaling's memoir is a scattershot, hit-or-miss affair. With short essays like "Why Do Men Put on Their Shoes So Slowly?" and "In Defense of Chest Hair", which graze their topics no more deeply than the titles suggest, Kaling almost sounds like she's half-heartedly trying out for the late and perpetually cranky Andy Rooney's vacated gig on 60 Minutes.

It's a shame, because the first two-thirds of Kaling's effort is an engaging memoir chronicling a thoroughly conventional upbringing and an unlikely rise to notoriety and television scripting fame. Her circuitous route to her career is both affable and a fun read—which makes it all the more disappointing that once she reaches the heights at NBC, the rest of the book sputters out when it has nowhere to go.

It seems unfairly reductive that the memoir will inevitably undergo comparisons with her same-network compatriot Tiny Fey's Bossypants. I found Kaling's effort the more charming of the two, and the less labored.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Is Everyone Hanging Out Without Me?.

Comments (showing 1-6)

dateUp_arrow    newest »

message 6: by Grace (new) - added it

Grace Exactly. As much as I loved this book, it just sort of sputtered out in the last third. Only Huckleberry Finn can get away with that.

message 5: by V. (new) - rated it 4 stars

V. Briceland Grace wrote: "Exactly. As much as I loved this book, it just sort of sputtered out in the last third. Only Huckleberry Finn can get away with that."

I'm glad someone agrees. It's not like the last third was torturous, or anything. It felt a little like lingering at a party a couple of hours longer than I should've, though.

message 4: by Mbarra (new) - added it

Mbarra That part about how men put on their shoes made me laugh out loud!

Heather L I also agree with you about the last few sections of the book. Could have done without the revenge fantasies.

Beth Boal Exactly!

Mary Jane Yes, I completely agree. The first half was fun and interesting .. Not so much in the 2nd half.