Joy (joyous reads)'s Reviews > Take This Regret

Take This Regret by A.L. Jackson

Nov 14, 11

Read from November 13 to 14, 2011

For a book of less than 250 pages, this novel didn't lack the intensity of an emotional powerhouse. Perhaps because it is such a short novel that made it even more so. Told in alternating point of views, Take This Regret is a story about wrong choices, consequences and their path to redemptions.

With his career in law about to take off, Christian was set to fulfill his goals in a steadfast manner. Nothing and no one could get in his way...that is, until Elizabeth delivered the news that could derail all his plans and ruin his hard work. He made a choice and made her choose. She walked away and life has never been as he pictured it would be.

I was really impressed by the author's consistency in spurring emotions throughout the entire story. I felt all that I was supposed to feel - Christian's overwhelming guilt, loss, regrets and the unconditional love he felt instantly as soon as he laid eyes on his daughter. All the while, he had this consuming need to just be a part of something that he consciously walked away from all those years ago.

I was frustrated with some of the decisions Elizabeth made once Christian walked back into their lives and in some ways I could relate. Her last moment-of-insanity though didn't bode well with me. It was obvious to me that by keeping Christian away, she was hurting the most important person in the equation but she was blinded by her own fear and need to protect herself that she didn't even see it coming.

All in all, this novel was a good find. It was a fast read but impact-ful just the same. There were so much loss, regrets and most important of all, love in spades. There's much to be said about a book that focuses on one plot and the author did an outstanding job of keeping the story clean. Expect no subplots or even much getting-to-know-you sessions with the characters. This is a plot-driven novel - centering on Christian's plight to take his family back. There were bits of information about the characters, but not enough to give them other dimensions and that's okay because like I said, the spotlight was on Christian's need to right a wrong.

I really enjoyed reading this book and I'm looking forward to reading more of the author's work.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Take This Regret.

11/13/2011 page 203