~ Becs ~'s Reviews > Covet

Covet by J.R. Ward

Apr 05, 12

bookshelves: abused-heroine, demons, paranormal-romance, super-rich-hero, angels
Read from April 01 to 05, 2012

Chained to all the places that he never wished to stay
Bound with all the weight of all the words he tried to say
As he faced the sun he cast no shadow
-Noel Gallagher

So I started this book riding on the crest of the Lover Reborn wave – looking for something to break up with barren WARDenless wasteland before the next BDB book arrives and didn’t have massively high expectations. I should have known better to doubt the WARDen though and can happily report that it’s a totally new approach to the ages old battle of good vs evil and is a great read.
So this is a novel of Fallen Angels and our main celestial being is Jim Heron – a man with a shady past now working a construction site with Adrian Vogel and Eddie Blackhawk. Are we noticing a theme here of the avian variety??

They all work for Vin diPietro, self-made self-assured millionaire who we first seeing buying the perfect engagement from a top jewellers for his perfect woman, Devina Avale, to complete his perfect life. But all is not rosy. Vin doesn’t really love this woman, he just believes she would make him the picture perfect wife. At first I didn’t like Vin but quickly we learn there’s a lot to love about him. He came from very humble beginnings and has dragged himself up in the world and now has a 2 story apartment in the Commodore – isn’t the Penthouse occupied by Rehvenge on one side and Vishous’s playroom on the other?

So back to Jim – he has a one-night stand with a beautiful woman in a blue dress and the very next day his boss, Vin, comes to the construction site to visit with his woman on his arm who is none other than the devil in the blue dress from the night before. Jim turns sharply, falls into a puddle with a live cable and is electrocuted.

Drifting, unconscious, Jim wakes up on the edge of Heaven which is a manicured croquet lawn outside of an English castle with 4 upper crust English dudes named Tarquin, Bertie, Colin and Nigel. They tell Jim that he is going to save the world by saving 7 souls who are at a crossroads in their lives and he must guide them on the correct path. He’s also warned to watch out for Team Demon who is attempting to guide these souls on the path to hell.

He regains consciousness in hospital and wakes up to Vin who is standing in front of the TV screen with a red arrow pointing right at his head. He is the SOS – his mission. Jim takes him to the Iron Mask that night where Vin sees and develops instant deep feelings for Marie Terese, a prostitute we met back in Lover Avenged. It’s soon apparent to Jim that Marie Terese is Vin’s redemption and Devina is the wrong turn.

As in all good stories, the course of true love never did run smooth and Marie Terese also has a past she is hiding and it’s a tough road ahead for her and Vin. Vin takes her back to where he grew up and they sit there together in the dusty house and I thought these scenes were really well written. You could truly feel the strong but repressed feelings the two of them held for each other without being able to express them until their passion explodes and they can no longer deny their attraction.

Before we can go all Pretty Woman, it’s all about to go seriously Pete Tong for Vin as Team Demon ups the ante when they suspect that Team Angel is forging ahead and he is arrested for assault and there are a few more bumps in the road before all is revealed.

It’s a highly enjoyable novel and yet another series to wait all bloody year for the next instalment but, hey ho, such is the life of a J.R. Ward fangirl!

4 stars urban fantasy romance

This is how I see the Castle at the entrance to heaven.

Photobucket

7 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Covet.

04/01/2012
17.0% "Sucked in and hooked already"
04/03/2012
45.0% "Totally crappy day at work - the whole world is mardy. Need to curl up with this book and hibernate, starting now."

Baba  ♥♥♥ Tyler, Marcus, Archer, Dean, Adrian, Dan & Hunter Great review, Becs, and I like the pic too! :)

message 2: by Kelly (new)

Kelly Great review! Maybe I will read this series. Wasn't so sure if it was my kind of book or not.

~ Becs ~ Thanks girls - I took the pic on my holidays a few years ago.

Kristen (Peddler of Smut) Wow! Fantastic review, Becs!

~ Becs ~ Thanks girls - how much of a fangirl am I when I spotted the Brothers cameos and squeed??

message 6: by Buggy (last edited May 14, 2012 11:22PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Buggy Super review Becs

"looking for something to break up with barren WARDenless wasteland before the next BDB book arrives" -love that!

~ Becs ~ Thanks Buggy!