Barry Eysman's Reviews > The Word

The Word by Irving Wallace

Nov 13, 2011

Some years ago on the Today show someone issued this statement, the tomb of James brother of Jesus had been found. The archeologist had discovered papyrus by James written about Jesus. Whoever was the host of the Today show that morning was in golly gee wow mode. So I'm thinking of the 1970s novel THE WORD. As things developed over the week it seemed to me THE WORD was being used as a blueprint for this. Irving Wallace was a hugely successful writer, and an extremely good one. In his novel he writes the book of James. Only Wallace would be so daring. The way a forged papyrus could be made was also discussed in detail by a character in Wallace's novel. I won't tell you the plot because it's genius and I don't want to spoil it for you. It seemed obvious this one week wonder was using Wallace's book. I'm thinking if these learned men and women of the press did not remember the novel, maybe they remember the TV movie of it. Apparently not. On Friday of that same week was the tragic news that the papyrus had been destroyed in transit. What a shock. Anyway, it's a great novel. You should read it. Sadly Irving Wallace had died by then.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Word.