Wicked ♥ (Wickedly Bookish Reviews) aka Bat-Jess's Reviews > Deadline

Deadline by Mira Grant

2082350
Wickedly Bookish Reviews

At this moment, after just finishing Deadline, I believe I'm in shock. I don't really know how I will write a review for this book without giving away spoilers for itself and for its predecessor Feed, but I will give it a try. Was this the best book ever? Certainly not. Were there flaws? Quite a few actually. Do either of those factors compare to the grip this series has a hold of me? Do they effect the love I have for the characters that Grant has created? Do they lessen at all the emotional reverberations I feel long after I have put the book back on its shelf? The answer is a loud and resounding NO. The people we love without a doubt have flaws, but the sheer magnitude of the impact they have on our own personal human experience makes these flaws pale in comparison.

This is Deadline to me.

This is the Newsflesh Trilogy to me.

The After the End Times team is back and hot on the trail of the conspiracy that rocked their world in the last book. If you think I'm being incredibly vague here, I am because there is honestly very little I can talk about this book plot wise without giving everything away. Let's just say I was very impressed with how quickly the action got going compared to Feed. Instead of a huge info dump that gets us acquainted with the characters and the world they inhabit, we take a quick moment to catch up with the team, and then are thrown directly into the action. And thank god for the action! Where Feed spent much of its length exploring politics, blogging, and evil plotting, Deadline spends it running, jumping, climbing trees. (Sorry couldn't resist the Eddie Izzard reference ^_^) There is still plenty of evil plotting going on here for those of us who loved that in the previous book, but this time we get to enjoy a faster paced story.

What Deadline has made up for in pace and excitement, it seems to have lack key character development in Shaun. I felt Grant had an almost unlimited amount of potential for Shaun's character here, but she held back for some reason. This was really disappointing for me as I love a good crazy anti-hero, but after being blown away by the ending, I trust that Grant knows what she is doing here. You see, after finishing Deadline I got the distinct feeling that everything that felt like a flaw throughout the course of the novel was absolutely intentional. Every emotion I felt during my read of this book seems to have been directed by Grant's storytelling in an almost subliminal way. To me this proves that Grant understands her core audience and knows just how to play us.

Which leads me to my final thoughts... What exactly does she have planned for us in Blackout? The ending of Deadline completely threw me as did the ending of Feed. So, if Grant is topping herself with each book... what epicness can we expect from the final book in the Newsflesh trilogy? I'm absolutely tingling with anticipation.

The Final Verdict

I think fans of the first book will love the ride and be left dying to find out what happens next.

Rise up while you can zombie fans.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Deadline.

05/19/2012 page 325
56.0% "Wow... just wow... loving the action sequences and the crazy twists! Can't wait to see what Grant has planned. Too bad my review queue is getting in the way! grr..."

Wigs oh hey you finished! :D

Wicked ♥  (Wickedly Bookish Reviews) aka Bat-Jess lol Literally just five minutes ago. I spent the whole day, immediately after I woke up, on the couch with a Pepsi (just to be a rebel) and tore through the rest.

Wigs OOOH PEPSI

GURL NO U DIDNT

Shaun and George are judging you.

Wicked ♥  (Wickedly Bookish Reviews) aka Bat-Jess Wigs wrote: "OOOH PEPSI

GURL NO U DIDNT

Shaun and George are judging you.

In all seriousness I hate soda so everytime they talk about Coke I'm like guhhh kill me"

Thank you for that sponsored laughing off of my ass. ^_^

I normally don't drink soda either, but we are low on groceries and don't get paid until tomorrow. I was in need of something to keep me alert and am completely out of my coffee creamer. I also use this in my tea (weird right?) so yeah I was out of luck today. I will be so happy to go grocery shopping!

I seem to need my caffeine these days more and more. I've finally gotten into a stable work out routine and have kept it up for 3 weeks. Subsequently I seem to have developed a mild narcolepsy. j/k but seriously I have never dozed off this much, especially in the middle of a good book or putting together a blog post. I'm attributing it to my body acclimating to the exercise and hopefully not becoming prematurely old.

I know what you mean about the Coke thing though :-) When I did drink soda as a teen, I never liked Coke. Too caustic. Pepsi, especially diet pepsi seems to be a bit smoother. idk