Tammara's Reviews > Effortless

Effortless by S.C. Stephens

Nov 22, 11

Read from November 13 to 22, 2011

As a child I was taught this little ditty long before I could even begin to grasp its meaning: What a tangled web we weave, when we first practice to deceive. In Thoughtless, where the story of Kiera and Kellan began, these two characters build and are forced to reckon with the web their lies and deception create. In crossing the line to be together, they wreak havoc on their individual relationships with Denny - a guy who deserves nothing of the sort from either of them. While Kellan betrays one of his closest friends, Kiera betrays her boyfriend. The pain of their decisions goes deeper than just those severed lines of friendship and love, however.

As Kellan and Kiera begin a tentative relationship with each other in Effortless, they find that despite the undeniable passion they both feel, neither can trust the other. The consequence of having been cheated on would obviously cause difficulty trusting. What could be worse than being cheated on? Knowing, firsthand, that cheating is possible - in yourself, and in the person you love - because you and he were the cheaters.

While not as devastatingly angsty as Thoughtless, Effortless has Kellan's career taking off - literally, it turns out, when his band gets the chance to tour for six months with a big headliner band. Stuck in her last year of college, Kiera must stay behind. Again. Still tentatively trying to trust each other, Kellan and Kiera are separated. All of the fears that separation will kill their relationship rise to the surface (this is, after all, how Denny and Kiera ended). Every coming together feels desperate. Why? Because it could be the last.

When it becomes clear that each of them are withholding something Important from the other, they naturally suspect the worst. Bracing for it, the residual guilt from what they did to Denny convinces them that they deserve the heartbreak and betrayal they fear. Kellen leaves love notes tucked into pieces of furniture and inside drawers, but what's most evident in these notes is the constant pleading, overt and passive, for her to stay, to give him the chance to prove himself.

As Kellan and Kiera fight to beat the odds and seek to validate their relationship, what they each really want and need most is to learn to trust themselves. Just like loving another requires you to first love yourself, trusting another means valuing and having faith in yourself and your decisions. This is an all-new challenge for Kellan and Kiera, and they grapple with it - hard. Effortless is the last thing this relationship is. But it's a worthy goal, and one I cheered them towards.
47 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Effortless.

message 1: by Deepika (new) - added it

Deepika Best review..!! Love it.

message 2: by Carmen (new) - added it

Carmen Jenner After reading the blurb for Effortless, I wasn't sure I really wanted to continue this series, but your review just changed my mind! Thanks Tammara! =D