Talia's Reviews > The Leftovers

The Leftovers by Tom Perrotta

Nov 13, 11

bookshelves: adult-fiction
Read in November, 2011

After a rapture-esque event occurs, making various people disappear from the face of the earth, the remaining people are left behind to carry on with their lives. This book follows the Garvey family: Kevin, the mayor of a small town, Laurie, who joins a cult whose members take a vow of silence and smoke cigarettes, Tom, who follows a religious zealot and is in charge of babysitting his fourth wife, and teenage Jill, who wanders around aimlessly trying to figure out what to do with herself.

This book is very similar to “Little Children” in style. The storylines jump around and intertwine and the ending leaves the reader all at once angry, wanting more, and enjoying the vague closure. I wasn’t a fan of many of the endings: Kevin and Nora, in particular. But don’t be scared that this is a book about The Rapture. It’s not. The author doesn’t ever go into what it was that “happened” (and I think I like it that way); it’s a story about the aftermath of a huge event with human emotions. I’m glad I read this, even if it wasn’t the best thing I’ve ever read.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Leftovers.