Oceana Fern's Reviews > Clockwork Prince

Clockwork Prince by Cassandra Clare

Nov 11, 12

bookshelves: historical-fiction-romance, paranormal-romance-fiction, young-adult, owned, favorites, four-stars, contains-boyfriend
Read from December 19 to 20, 2011 — I own a copy, read count: 5

4.5

*sighs*

Clockwork Angel, why couldn't you be as awesome as Clockwork Prince? Oh, yeah. Tessa and Jem didn't have a romantic relationship. Clockwork Prince was worth the wait, so worth it. I have no regrets, and I love this book.

I managed to love and hate Clockwork Prince at the same time, simply because the love triangle continues to rip out out my heart and splatter it all over the floor. It's *sobs* so *sobs* unfair.

I'm going to try to not, you know, fangirl over Jem. It's so hard for me, but - haha. I can't do it. I'm still going to fangirl.

Plot

Clockwork Prince continues Tessa's search for the Magister, and the stakes are higher than ever now - if Charlotte is replaced as head of the Institute, who gets kicked to the streets and made a valuable victim? Tessa, darlings. Then, of course, there's that crushing love triangle and action, action, and more action.

Love Triangle / Romance

So, I've never in my life read a book with a love triangle that wasn't blindingly obvious. Alright, that's actually a lie (just one, okay?), but I rarely come across any books with a good love triangle.

I mean, take Twilight, for example. Who thought that she would actually end up with Jacob? Even Jacob's fangirls knew that Bella wouldn't choose Jacob.

description

By the way... lord, I wouldn't want to kiss Taylor, despite his hotness. Look at the way he puckers his lips. Is he constipated?

The homeless man sleeping under the bridge knew Bella would end up with Edward! It was no surprise - it was a useless, angsty, infuriating shape (get it? get it? a love 'triangle'?) to put in that book.

description
Wait, holy crap, does he have abs?!

Now, I think that Clockwork Prince owns the damn thing . . . because you don't know who Tessa will end up with. Sure - most of us believe it'll be Will, because he was Tessa's first flame, he 'understands her', he's the badboy, and, like . . . stuff . . .

But, my dilemma? I want both Jem and Will to end up with Tessa – more so, Jem, I admit. But anyone would know Tessa can’t have them both. Too bad.

Actually, just have threesome! Problem solved. Why doesn't anyone think of that? Kid Cudi did.

I love Will. Really, I do. He’s hilarious, and cruel, and a jerk. He loves to read, and he loves poetry, and he's actually very thoughtful and wise. He grew up to fast, and yes - he's horrible to Tessa sometimes.But he has his reasons, and he'd gladly give up his life for her . . .

Like Jem.

Jem stole my heart from the first time, and he hasn’t given it back just yet. I am completely and utterly in love with Jem. Seriously. Just stalk my reviews and comments and stuff, and you'll see that 99% of them are about Jem and my intense, burning love and passion for him, along with various, various other literary boyfriends. But Jem is #1 on my list.

Both are in love with Tessa, and I just want Jem to be happy.

Characters
Clare manages to make amazing, funny, and heartfelt characters in her stories.

Tessa. The girl was okay enough. I honestly remain baffled at how she attracted the attention of the two most amazing guys in the universe, but I love how she has a smartass response to Will's douchy comments.

Jem is quiet, insanely kind, totally polite, and just plain AMAZING. There are no words to describe how loving this guy is. He'd never say a harmful word to anyone (unless he really needs to), and he's just ugh so bloody hot.

Thank you for ruining my chances of ever having a boyfriend, Ms. Clare. You must be so proud.

Will is hysterical and swoon-worthy. You know how a lot of YA authors (read: ALL) claim the new guy is “hot and mysterious”? Yeah, well, darlings, I’ve only known two guys in YA books that are that deserve to be called “hot and mysterious”. That’s Will and Ash.

The more minor characters are mostly are intriguing, and I liked most of them well enough.

But, wait, there's Magnus. MagnusMagnusMagnus, my love. I could read a whole book about this witty, hot, uproarious warlock.

Writing

I'm rather 'meh' about Clare's writing - I like it, I really do, but it's just so purple and metaphor-filled. You could slim down half the book if you just cut out all the similes in that brick. Such writing makes the story hard to follow and rather confusing.

I cracked up several times during Clockwork Prince, and this is why:

“Did you just kiss me?" Will inquired.
Magnus made a slip-second decision. "No."
"I thought-"
"On occasion the aftereffects of the painkilling spells can result in hallucinations of the most bizarre sort."
"Oh," Will said. "How peculiar.”

“Patriotic?” Will looked smug. “I’ll tell you what’s patriotic,” he said. “In honor of my birthplace, I’ve the dragon of Wales tattooed on my—”

One Last Thing . . .

Dear Ms. Clare,
Please don't kill of Jem, or many us us Jem lovers are going to die as well. There will be an outbreak of teen deaths (bitch please, we died of a cracked heart) around the world if he does die, or if Tessa dumps his poor sexy ass. Actually, it would be better if he stays with Tessa. Because it's time the good guy gets the girl. It's always the first guy who meets the girl who ends up with her . . . can you break the cycle? Give him a chance? We don't want Jem to end up with some random female character, or dead.

We just want him and Will happy.

Also, if you do hurt Jem, sorry, but . . .
We'll cut you. Obviously we're just kidding, but seriously. Don't.

I highly recommend THE INFERNAL DEVICES. In my opinion it is a million times better than THE MORTAL INSTRUMENTS.

Find this review and more at my blog:
description

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Clockwork Prince.

Quotes Oceana Fern Liked

Cassandra Clare
“It's too late," she said.
"Don't say that." His voice was half a whisper. "I love you, Tessa. I love you.”
Cassandra Clare, Clockwork Prince

12/19/2011 page 10
2.0% "OMG I GOT IT!!!!! <3 I begged my mom to take me and she finally said yes . . . I got the special Collector's edition (apparently only distributed at Barnes and Noble) . . . <spoiler>OMG CLARY IS RELATED TO CHAR????!!!!</spoiler>"
12/19/2011 page 98
20.0% "Dear God, I love Jem. <3 Will is so heartless sometimes, but he's hilarious. =D And I do not approve of Jem x Sophie, by the way."

Comments (showing 3-52)

Kelley Oh you are reading it already! Lucky!

Oceana Fern Hehehe. I'm so excited. =D

My Barnes and Noble had the Collector's First Edition hidden under some tables, underneath the regulars. I found them, though. :D

Kelley Yeah, that is the edition my mom bought me too! She does not know that I know yet though. I took the liberty of checking her online b&n account to see what she was getting me for christmas. :)

Oceana Fern Oh, nice!!! LOL. I couldn't wait until then. My friend came and dropped off his turtle and bird I'm pet sitting (along with another dog from another friend) and gave me my Christmas present and the cash for the pet sitting. I could tell it was a B & N giftcard. =D I begged my mom to bring me when she got back from shopping.

Kelley Ha very nice. Yeah I was not so worried about this one just because I had other books on my mind and I have been using my nook a lot. My friend is writing a book and I have been reading hers and editing it, and also working on my own so I guess that is why i am able to wait lol.

Saniya(Will Herondale is mine) BITCH! ='D <3
Read it SUPER fast and then OMG OMG! REVIEWW! =D

Oceana Fern I READ IT I FINISHED IT AT 4 IN THE MORNING!!! I LOVED IT I LOVED IT!!! <3

Saniya(Will Herondale is mine) Its worth everything! xD
OMG! Don't you just love Will and Jem. I am so freaking confused! Its like I love him but I love him too! LOL! =D *why aren't they reaaaaal*

Oceana Fern I know! I just know that if Tessa hurts Jem in ANY WAY, I will stalk her and murder her. -.- He BELONGS with HER.

Saniya(Will Herondale is mine) OMG! I loved your review! ^_^ <3

message 42: by Oceana Fern (last edited Dec 21, 2011 10:19AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Oceana Fern Saniya wrote: "OMG! I loved your review! ^_^ <3
And do I have to tell you or its just that we are long lost twins? WE HAVE EXACTLY THE SAME FREAKING FEELINGS! xD"

Lol, thanks! <3

No, we're long lost twins who were actually one person, then got split into two. =D Our parents thought it would be dangerous for us to meet each other, because we would rule the whole world together, so they sent me to Florida. Away from my twin sis. =P

Sharon Hsu Loved your review and I had waaaay too much fun reading it xD

Haha. I freaking can't wait for Clockwork Princess!!!

Saniya(Will Herondale is mine) HAHAHAHA! Exactly! xD
Our awesomeness could have outrun everyone in this planet :P

Oceana Fern Sharon wrote: "Loved your review and I had waaaay too much fun reading it xD

Haha. I freaking can't wait for Clockwork Princess!!!"

Awww thank you! =) This is the longest review I've ever written. I know!! Too long!!! I-a-gonna-die.

message 38: by Oceana Fern (last edited Dec 21, 2011 12:57PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Oceana Fern Saniya wrote: "HAHAHAHA! Exactly! xD
Our awesomeness could have outrun everyone in this planet :P"

They would bow down to Queen Saniya and Sabrina (both born in September, the 6th and the 16th). =D

Saniya(Will Herondale is mine) And then we have all the authors as our servants and tell them to give us the god-damn book first xD

Oceana Fern They would have to keep on spitting out books, but they'd have time to write a really good book since they'd take turns.

"All hail Queen Saniya and Queen Sabrina!" =D

Saniya(Will Herondale is mine) With King Jem and King Ash and Prince Will and Prince Peeta as toys ;) <3

Oceana Fern Saniya wrote: "With King Jem and King Ash and Prince Will and Prince Peeta as toys ;) <3"

TRUE THAT!!!!!!!!!! <3 And we'd live beautiful palace with beautiful clothes and in a beautiful land.

Saniya(Will Herondale is mine) With a big ass library of about 20 km ^_^
And with hot heroes everyday! O_O <3

Oceana Fern And we could take a metro to whatever section of books we wanted, listed by genre, sub category, and vampires. Then we could click buttons on the mini metro and a full-blown picture of the section before us would pop up, and we would be able to click the books we wanted. Then a big claw with delicate fluff would gently deposit the book in a little book gap in the metro.

message 31: by Saniya(Will Herondale is mine) (last edited Dec 21, 2011 03:46PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Saniya(Will Herondale is mine) And then we would read the books in the most softest sofa ever with softest pillows and with drinks and snacks coming after every few minutes. And other servants would search about the book (trailer, fan-made cast and all other stuffs) And then when the authors will come to us, we would be like, "We give you permission to make this book a movie" (If we loved the book) AND CHOOSE THE GOD DAMN ACTORS! ^_^

Oceana Fern I know! And the directors as well, and don't forget the soundtrack composer - Alexandre Desplat for sure. I <3 him.

And we would have the power to make Ms. Clare give us a happy ending for Jem, Will, and Tessa *cough THE BEST ENDING WOULD BE IF JEM MARRIES TESSA AND SOMETHING REALLY GOOD HAPPENS TO WILL BUT HE DOESN'T GET THROWN IN WITH SOME RETARDED RANDOM CHICK cough*

Amazanam OMG!! tell me about it! I was sooo happy she was with Jem, but I was also crying cause Will was heart broken!! This truly is by far the MOST AMAZING SERIES I HAVE EVER READ!!

Oceana Fern Amazanam wrote: "OMG!! tell me about it! I was sooo happy she was with Jem, but I was also crying cause Will was heart broken!! This truly is by far the MOST AMAZING SERIES I HAVE EVER READ!!"

IKR!? <3

message 26: by Elle (new) - rated it 5 stars

Elle Vimayor totally agree with you about the "hot and mysterious" guys! Will and Ash totally takes the cake.

Logan I haven't read the second one yet, but...Is Magnus gay? Are him and Will going to prance off in a rainbow-y sunset? Maybe I'm reading too much into that quote...

Oceana Fern Logan wrote: "I haven't read the second one yet, but...Is Magnus gay? Are him and Will going to prance off in a rainbow-y sunset? Maybe I'm reading too much into that quote..."

o.o You didn't know? xDDD. Magnus is gay and Will is not. Magnus had to do it to save them from someone. :P

Logan I had a feeling Magnus was gay. The ending chapter of the first book made me go, "Hmm..."

Well, anyway, that's disappointing. I had high hopes for a rainbow-y sunset.

message 22: by Ros (new) - rated it 5 stars

Ros Ok... I loved this review :D I didn't read it entirely but what I read made me smile...

Lottie Gee logan hes bi, have you not read the mortal instruments

Oceana Fern Lottie wrote: "logan hes bi, have you not read the mortal instruments"

Lottie Gee fine then! I should have put a comma after Logan, but in all fairness i'm pretty jet-lagged right now. and i agree i prefer the infernal devices, mainly because of jem

Logan Lottie wrote: "logan hes bi, have you not read the mortal instruments"

I have not read the Mortal Instruments. So therefore, I should totally get props for guessing that without any background information.

Oceana Fern Oceana wrote: "Lottie wrote: "logan hes bi, have you not read the mortal instruments"

.... I was not aware there was a Logan in the Mortal Instruments series. And yes, I have, but I didn't enjoy it nearly as much."

... um, no, I genuinely didn't realize you were talking to Logan.

message 16: by Zaira (new) - added it

Zaira This one of the funniest and beautiful reviews I've ever read!! Now I want to read so bad Clockwork Prince!!!

message 15: by Oceana Fern (last edited Sep 01, 2012 09:03AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Oceana Fern Zaira wrote: "This one of the funniest and beautiful reviews I've ever read!! Now I want to read so bad Clockwork Prince!!!"

Oh, god, nooooooo. This is one of the worst reviews I've ever written. It's so old, plus, I totally loved CP because of Jem.

But thanks anyway. <3

message 14: by Zaira (new) - added it

Zaira Oceana wrote: "Zaira wrote: "This one of the funniest and beautiful reviews I've ever read!! Now I want to read so bad Clockwork Prince!!!"

Oh, god, nooooooo. This is one of the worst reviews I've ever written. ..."

Believe me, when I finished your review I was with a big smile on my face and a burning desire to read the book asap. As for Jem, Tessa and Will it's the first time in a book that I love both of the male characters and I can't decide!! It definitely sucks!!

Jessica Your alligator sums up my opinion of this book perfectly!!

Lucy Holy shit, girl! You must be the only one that, just like me, loves Jem more than Will! :D

Aqsa Raffe Pooky Bear Im glad you liked it! :')
I CRIED SO BAD DURING THIS ENTIRE BOOK.
Its like MY MOST FAVORITE BOOK EVER. EVER. EVER. <3

Hope you'd feel the the same with TMI tho. :/

Well. Everyone has their own perspective.
But Im happy you liked this!

message 10: by K8 (new) - rated it 5 stars

K8 So happy to read a pro-Jem review! I love Will- I've got nothing against him- but JEM. JEM is aaaammmmaaaaazing! He's so insightful, gentle, emotionally connected, just so *there* with Tessa. He is top of my literary boyfriend list. I haven't read CP2 yet, and am afraid to.... I just need Jem to get happiness- I'd be okay with whatever happens to anyone else

Petra Holly crap, it's like you are a part of me. I have exactly the same feelings (for Jem) and I really enjoyed reading your review. I've just finished mine on Clockwork Princess and I feel it's kinda shitty against yours. Anyway, I'm glad there is someone who feels the same way as I, beside my best friend, but she actually likes Will more, so I don't count her. :D

Oceana Fern Petra wrote: "Holly crap, it's like you are a part of me. I have exactly the same feelings (for Jem) and I really enjoyed reading your review. I've just finished mine on Clockwork Princess and I feel it's kinda ..."

HAHAHA, thank you!

Trust me, it's probably not. This review is old and really embarrassing. I'll have to re-read the book and re-write the review soon.

Yes! Jem is my number one literary boyfriend. I just adore him so much.

Jodotha Love your review. I'm cheating. I haven't finished Clockwork Prince yet, because I'm honestly afraid of Cassandra Clare's evilness and if I don't read any further, then Jem can stay happy... Right?

Oceana Fern Abby wrote: "Love your review. I'm cheating. I haven't finished Clockwork Prince yet, because I'm honestly afraid of Cassandra Clare's evilness and if I don't read any further, then Jem can stay happy... Right?"

Thank you!

Oh, Jem... it gets complicated.

message 5: by Alma (new) - added it

Alma Vega omg i loved it review.. jem. its all about jem!

Dessylyly Jem. Jem. Jem

and oh,

Magnus, Magnus, Magnus

Zorana I really loved your review! I have a few chapters to the snd of the book, but i would really like both Will and Jem with Tessa and happy :-)

« previous 1