Courtney's Reviews > Dearly Devoted Dexter

Nov 14, 2011

liked it
bookshelves: crime
Read from November 13 to 14, 2011

I don't love the writing but I do love the idea and that's what makes this a page turner.

I haven't yet watched the TV series but it's on my list. This book and the first attracted me as a lover of crime, true crime and procedural thrillers. Having already learnt a lot about psychopaths and the nature of serial killers some of this book was a bit 'basic' and I found Jeff Lindsay would dwell on some of the more obvious traits of a serial killer such as their lack of empathy and inability to always understand the nuances of the human condition. Where the parts I would like to know
more about he skips straight over, such as Dexter's technique and desire. But perhaps this is to ensure he is still palatable to a wider reading audience.

I will read the rest of the series and I hope to find Lindsay taking more risks with his character. Showing more of the Dark Passenger, the internal struggle to keep the monster under relative control. I also hope to find an improvement in the writing, particularly the dialogue which I find forced and unnatural, even if Dexter isn't a normal member of society the conversations just make me cringe. They are so... 'tacky' much like the dress code of Miami.

I'd also love to see less annoying over used alliteration and less self praise. While I understand a key element of the psyche of a serial killer is that they think (and often are) so much more clever than everyone else I honestly don't need to be reminded three times within the same paragraph. I just don't think Dexter would really remind himself so often how clever he is, I feel like he would and should just BE clever.

I have no problem with actually disliking the main protagonist while also rooting for him so I feel Dexter could be darker without alienating the reader. I hope this happens in the books to come.

These books are a cool, creepy concept riddled with repetitive ramblings that I hope lucky literary Lindsay looses a little and focuses on the fearsome, forbidden fun-times of his marvelous, murderous, malicious Dexter.
2 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Dearly Devoted Dexter.