Allison's Reviews > Gregor and the Prophecy of Bane

Gregor and the Prophecy of Bane by Suzanne Collins

Jun 29, 08

bookshelves: five-stars, 1owned, genre-high-fantasy
Read in May, 2008

In the sequel to Gregor the Overlander, we continue the story of Gregor, a boy who is able to visit another world below NYC. In his last adventure, Gregor was able to fulfill a prophecy and become a legendary warrior, save his missing father, and return home. Although Gregor, Boots and his father (who had been held captive by giant rats for several years) have returned, his family is still struggling to survive. When his sister Boots goes missing, Gregor is once again pulled back into the Underland to save the day and fulfil yet another prophecy!

In this sequel, Collins had an opportunity to turn everything around, to make Gregor's life better, and different, but instead she chose the tough road- she made his life REAL. She didn't give him a happy-ever-after, and I really like that. In this sequel, the books begin to get darker, more serious. Again, Boots provides tons of comic relief, and Gregor's new relationship with the bat Ares is very interesting. I really like how, in the midst of everything, Gregor is able to stay true to his beliefs and morals. Although the books seem clear-cut and easy to predict, I love how Collins gives them a little twist, and a little dash of surprise. My second favorite of the series!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Gregor and the Prophecy of Bane.