Neha's Reviews > A Flight Of Pigeons

A Flight Of Pigeons by Ruskin Bond

Mar 20, 12

bookshelves: read-in-2011, saw-movie-version-too, kwench
Read on November 13, 2011

I like Ruskin Bond for two reasons. One his local depth on subject and second as if he was there while it happened. He writes about things and places as if he has lived there. It appears he doesn’t wield them out of thin air but sees them forming and shaping and then puts them on paper. Let me explain when I am reading his stories and start imagining characters, towns, hills, cities, people, houses the way he describes them.. and in midst of all this I see Ruskin as a mute spectator observing and absorbing the story and its nuances. Now that is a rare thing that any author can make you feel. Can you imagine Rowling standing while Harry Potter is being acted out or Rabindranath Tagore when Choker Bali comes to life in your imagination. At least I did not. But that’s what makes Ruskin Bond. He doesn’t chance or impact the plot, he is only an audience and that itself adds to the presentation of the story. I have never felt that even being an audience can add to the story but that’s what Ruskin does.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Flight Of Pigeons.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Nilesh (new)

Nilesh Kashyap Have you read any book by John Steinbeck? He will make you live the story.

message 2: by Hriday (new)

Hriday very interesting perspective that! Your review reminds me of R K Narayan;'s writing. He too gives off that vibe

message 3: by Hriday (new)

Hriday trivia info: The award winning film Junoon was based on flight of pigeons

Neha @ Nilesh: Nope I have not read any John Steinbeck. Suggest me a good book of his to start with.

@ Hriday: actually now that you say both RK Narayan & Ruskin Bond have a lot of similarities. They both write in their local areas about common people, stories heard of from people & children just love their books. and I have seen Junoon.. but the book is better...