Ellisa Barr's Reviews > Yellow Star

Yellow Star by Jennifer Roy

Nov 12, 11

bookshelves: childrens, historical, fiction, read-2011
Read in June, 2011

This is a story about the Holocaust as told by a very young Jewish child who lived during that time. In other reviews I see people mentioning the free verse poetry style, but I listened to it as an audiobook, and instead of poetry it just came across as a personal retelling. I appreciated the way the author aged the voice of the child as she grew from age 4 to age 9, and how she kept her feeling real throughout the book.

I think that this book would be a good introduction to younger children about the Holocaust. Because the story-teller is young, and pretty sheltered from the realities and facts of what is actually happening, the reader is spared much of the same. But even without that level of detail, the story of what happened to these people and their children is shocking and appalling.

The way this book really shines though, is the love the father has for his family, and the lengths he goes to to protect them. He is a true hero, and as a parent I admire these parents for bringing their family through a terrible situation.

Finally, the end of the book is uplifting, and it's especially inspiring to find out that the book is based on the story of the author's real life aunt. I recommend this book, but suggest that if you give it to your kids to read you also initiate conversations about what happened. It's a book that you'll want to talk about.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Yellow Star.