Samantha's Reviews > Where the Truth Lies

Where the Truth Lies by Jessica Warman

Nov 12, 11

bookshelves: library-reads, teen-fiction
Read from November 10 to 12, 2011

I really don't know what to think of this book. It wasn't bad, but I don't know if it was good. I think what threw me off is that this book as so much going on in it. It covers nearly two years of Emily's life but isn't any longer than your average book. This meant that a lot of things were brushed over, I think the book could have been a lot more emotional.

Sometimes I felt like the teen life was spot on... then other times I just felt like the author was just trying too hard. The very laid back attitude towards smoking seemed off (smoking cigarettes at least). And the lounging around in underwear seemed out of place. The author also threw around terms either incorrectly (night terrors for instance) or carelessly (a character's trichotillomania and eating disorder are practically mentioned merely as character traits and not something her best friend should be terribly concerned about).

This book also has a case of dumb parents, but the plot wouldn't have worked any other way so... eh.

Mostly, this book felt like a compilation of bad YA cliches and teen fantasy. I think it had the potential to really, really good but the author simply seemed to stray away from handling anything too seriously.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Where the Truth Lies.