Emily May's Reviews > Black Heart

Black Heart by Holly Black

Apr 15, 12

bookshelves: young-adult, paranormal-uf, 2012
Read from April 09 to 13, 2012

The more I consider it, the more I wonder if I was just having a bad day when I read Red Glove and found myself mostly underwhelmed by it. I still think that White Cat was this series' highest point and the other two installments never quite achieved what the opening book did, I just thought that White Cat had so much going on but Ms Black somehow managed to juggle it superbly so the plot never felt too much or overcrowded. And there was just a touch too much relationship drama going on in Red Glove and Black Heart for my tastes.

However, I didn't have the same problems with this as I did with the second book, despite the relationship dramas. I still remained hooked throughout and enjoyed revisiting Cassel and his family. Though the main mystery occasionally got lost behind various subplots involving blackmail and Sam and Daneca's tumultuous relationship, I enjoyed these mini-stories enough this time around that I wasn't bored.

My final conclusions on the curse workers series is that it is most definitely worth reading. It stands out so much from all the other YA urban fantasy novels that are available today, as of yet I haven't found anything quite like it - which is a huge plus! It's a unique world with an array of interesting characters - some of which you can both love and hate equally - and excellent mystery stories. I don't know if it's because I'm extremely dense or because Ms Black is such a talented writer, but she always manages to surprise me.

As a reader who has had some not so great experiences with Black's other work, I can say that this is the kind of series you should still read if you hated Tithe, and I am awaiting the publication of The Coldest Girl in Coldtown with a mixture of excitement and apprehension.
40 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Black Heart.

Quotes Emily May Liked

Holly Black
“She wears trouble like a crown. If she ever falls in love, she’ll fall like a comet, burning the sky as she goes.”
Holly Black, Black Heart

Comments (showing 1-6)

dateUp arrow    newest »

message 6: by Steph Su (new)

Steph Su Good to know I wasn't the only one who was underwhelmed by Red Glove. I, too, adored White Cat, and thus was so bewildered when Red Glove just dragged. I'll look forward to reading Black Heart, then!

Emily May I hope you enjoy as much as I did, Steph :)

Olivia--Porcrastinator Extraordinaire I completely agree. White Cat was definitely the high point. So entertaining, fast paced, tragic...etc, and Red Glove was just meh. I guess it is rare to find a trilogy where the final book is the best and the second isn't a lull.

message 3: by Moira (new) - added it

Moira Russell Yeah, isn't it called middle-book-itis? Heh. I loved White Cat and can still remember a lot of it, but Red Glove slipped mostly from my mind. I think it's basically setup for the third.

There used to be a neat story-in-fragments up on the curseworkers site, but it's gone now. It was all about Lila.

Olivia--Porcrastinator Extraordinaire The Lila fragments are gone? That's too bad. I enjoyed aspects of White Cat even more after reading them. They made me look at Lila in a whole new light. I agree Moira, I honestly remember next to nothing from Red Glove except what I faintly remembered while reading Black Heart.

Lesley I was disappointed with Coldtown. And feel the same way you do about the series. The mythology was so unique that I forgave many flaws