Brittany's Reviews > Beautiful Disaster

Beautiful Disaster by Jamie McGuire

Nov 12, 2011

did not like it
bookshelves: dropped-book, disgusting, ya, m-f

Jamie McGuire. Putting the woman's movement back 200 years. D: It saddens me that someone from my own gender is writing such shallow and mindless dribble. I know the economy is bad, but damn have some pride!

If you were able to get through this book without throwing up I have to applaud you. I had to stop reading at page 225 because I was becoming physically ill. It wasn't the subject that sickened me, it was HOW the subject was being written. The characters and their reaction to Travis' obsessive behavior was INSANE. Literally insane! How Abby's friends could encourage her to date such a loose cannon is beyond me. Anybody with common sense (or any real friend) would tell her to run for the hills- this guy is mentally unstable! I know books aren't meant to be realistic, but I think they should be rooted with some truth. I don't need to like all the characters I'm reading about, but it's nice to understand where they are coming from. Here I did not like the characters nor did I understand their motives.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Beautiful Disaster.

02/26/2016 marked as: dropped-book

Comments (showing 1-12)

dateUp arrow    newest »

Nichole The woman's movement? Are we seriously discussing politics being influenced by a book of fiction? Can you elaborate?

Brittany Nichole wrote: "The woman's movement? Are we seriously discussing politics being influenced by a book of fiction? Can you elaborate?"

Human nature should always be taken into account in literature. The way these characters acted does not ring true to real life. I do not need to like the characters, but I do need to understand where they are coming from. As I said above, I did not have an issue with the subject. I had an issue with the way the subject was written. It rubs me the wrong way when something dysfunctional (Abby and Travis' relationship) is portrayed as normal.

The characterization of Abby was incredibly shallow. It seemed she only liked Travis because he was hot. In this day and age, authors should be able to give their characters more depth than that. Why wasn't Abby bothered by Travis' behavior? Did she have low self-esteem? Some sort of daddy issues where she had the desire to be controlled? I needed the author to explore Abby's psyche and give us an explanation as to why she tolerated Travis' behavior.

Kimberly Mushinski I'm not sure we read the same book. Abby was one of the few girls that didn't fall to Travis's feet because of his looks. She became friends with him and eventually learned who he really was and fell in love with him. She faught against him when he was super controlling. When he made a decision she thought was bad for her life she broke up with him to protect herself even though it meant losing the love of her life. I don't think her dysfunctional relationship was seen as the norm. Most of the characters knew they were a ticking time bomb and were waiting for it to blow up. The idea that there is no truth behind dysfunctional relationship and that friends could encourage one is simply not true. Maybe you haven't seen it or understand it, but it happens.

Brittany Kimberly wrote: "I'm not sure we read the same book. Abby was one of the few girls that didn't fall to Travis's feet because of his looks. She became friends with him and eventually learned who he really was and fe..."

I stopped reading Beautiful Disaster after page 225 (kindle version, not paperback). I didn't get to the part where Travis and Abby became a couple. I can't comment on their romantic relationship or their break up.

I didn't see any of Abby's friends voice their concerns over Travis' behavior anywhere in the first 225 pages though. Not one. I can understand some people encouraging Abby to go out with Travis. She likes him. He likes her. Why not go out? Sure Travis can be overbearing, but at least he puts all of his focus on Abby. I can understand how some people might not see that as an unhealthy. In some peoples eyes, Travis' is just some crazy kid in love. I'm well aware not everybody shares the same view point as me. What I don't find realistic is that not one of them does (share the same view point as me). I find it weird that not even one of Abby's friends is bothered by Travis' behavior or expresses their concern over it. Travis blows up multiple times in the book- I don't understand why none of Abby's friends addresses it.

Did some of Abby's friends share their concerns later in the book? That's great. It's too bad they didn't speak up earlier.

message 8: by Cyn (new) - added it

Cyn I could only make it about 200 pages in as well. Just couldn't stomach any more of it ..

Roshan The book is intolerable if one looks for sense in it. But then most chicklits are like that. I think this book sells because for those who like mush it offers variety :)

Roshan But I would also like to point out that its quite real for people to stick around with a guy like Travis once they fall in love with him. Why else do you think many women stay in abusive marriages?

message 5: by May (new) - rated it 1 star

May I completely agree and I can't believe how many people fawned over this book. It was retarded and completely unacceptable!

Destiny I skimmed because it was that bad smh this was a good review

Sara You read the plot before you read the book, right? What were you expecting?

Brittany Sara wrote: "You read the plot before you read the book, right? What were you expecting?"

I was expecting to read a well-written book with characters that act like rational human beings. :) There are plenty of good intense bad boy/good girl romances out there. I just didn't think this was one of them.

Milena Honestly you're not missing much. They get together and he still gets crazy jealous over everything. I skipped to the final couple chapters to see if there had been any character development at all, and the whole story culminates with not only Abby and Travis running off to Vegas and eloping, but with her getting a tattoo that says "Mrs. Whatever Travis's last name is". He still acts jealous even when Abby points out that she has married him and literally branded herself with his name (and she actually uses the word branded if I'm not mistaken). This book completely glorified abusive relationships. And yes, it's often very hard for women to leave abusive husbands and relationships. And that's exactly a reason why we DO NOT need books like this being written, promoted and praised.

Also, only two people warn Abby away from Travis. One of them is her roommate, often dismissed as a annoying and a grumpy bitch. The other one is a guy in Travis' fraternity that Abby briefly dates before getting together with Travis (and his warnings are, ironically, dismissed as the rambling a of a jealous guy lol)