Anne OK's Reviews > Rescue Me

it was ok
bookshelves: 2012-reads
Read from May 29 to 31, 2012

FULL REVIEW NOW POSTED

I've been a big fan of Rachel Gibson's books for a long while. The last few have been questionable and this one I had a very difficult time getting into and staying with it. Sadly, “Rescue Me” is a bumpy ride that goes nowhere fast and doesn’t measure up to the ones that came before! I find it difficult to express such negative remarks towards this author’s work after having been the recipient of so many of her pleasurable reads over the years. I’m very appreciative and happy that Rachel Gibson recently released her witty and lively novella “Crazy On You” to ease the pain of this one.

Although you may find this hard to believe,

I didn't hate it BUT
I didn't love it either, AND
there were certain parts I liked BUT THEN AGAIN,
there were also parts I didn't like.

“Rescue Me” is a prime example of one of those books that “coulda shoulda woulda” been better if . . .

Vince had been a more likable and convincing hero. To be blunt, I just didn’t like him. In my memory, he’s the worst male lead I've ever read in one of Gibson’s books. If Vince thinks Sam LeClaire is a jerk and asshat, he needs to take a good long look in the mirror at himself. His self-image could stand a major overhaul. The things that come out of his mouth are rude, crude and not so heroic. And his actions don’t help him out much either. He is so proud of his “assets” but the proof in his abilities just wasn’t there in my opinion. It appears that Vince just didn’t get a good dose of this author’s usual high standards in character building. I truly am shocked to find myself with these feelings. After all, Vince is a gruff and tough former Navy SEAL. These types of alpha-males holding secrets close to their chests most often are my favorite kinda guy and a big hit with me.

On the other hand, Sadie made her mark. Her character is well-developed, likable and believable. The strained relationship between Sadie and her ailing dad is adeptly depicted. Sadie lost her mother at a young age and without her mother’s guiding hand became somewhat of a departure from the norm. Sadie is easy to relate to and understand. She doesn’t follow all the rules in the prescribed order for Texas beauties. Her fashion sense is all wrong and she’s thirty-three and never-been-married. Bless her heart! I liked this strong, spunky, and sassy character, who carried herself well throughout the book.

There’s the hint of plenty of sexual chemistry between Sadie and Vince from the beginning when he has truck trouble and she gives him a ride. But those sparks fizzle when too much time is spent on subjects having no real impact on the storyline rather than focusing on the main characters. The “Friends With Benefits” package is pushed too far without the much-needed relationship development in the “friends” arena. In my opinion, the story was off-balance with far too many pages separating interactions between our leading couple. Vince and Sadie spent more time apart than they did together. Readers never experience the feeling that the “one-night-stands” between Vince and Sadie progress to anything more meaningful. The whole thing is suffering from the syndrome known as “going through the motions without any emotions!”

Towards the end, Vince does man-up with some actions that offered hope that he might really be the hero we all love to read about. But this time around, the Rescue Squad arrived too late offering too little. Even the happily-ever-after suffers from an abrupt ending that feels rushed. It had the potential for being award-winning but once again lost steam and just doesn’t make it up and over the hill! I did give it points for a good try though.

In spite of it all, I find myself already looking forward to the next Gibson book with hopeful expectations. I would like to see Rachel Gibson, the award-winning RITA author of the past, return full force.

30 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Rescue Me.

Michelle [Helen Geek] I've been debating about my next read .. this is one of the top on my list.

Anne OK I've had an influx of interrruptions today. My six-year old grandson had a run to the emergency room with his first asthma attack so I've been unable to really get into the story. It's storming (as I'm sure you're aware) so I've been watching tv since I got home. I'm hoping things settle down shortly and I can get into the meat and potatoes of the story.

Michelle [Helen Geek] Asthma .. how scary. I hope he is okay? There are so many wonderful treatments now, but still can be worrisome.

Yes, storming here. My hubs is watching Mike Morgan [he is so funny] get all excited with the hail. I'm watching it out my window, but just want no noise. I've had my grand-daughter before and after school for the last few weeks and am sausted TOTALLY.

I'll watch for your reviews. I'm excited, but trying to read Easy right now. Just starting it.

Anita Hope your grandson is doing better. Asthma attacks are very scary - know first hand experience with those... Looking forward to the reviews on this one

♡Karlyn P♡ Uh oh, not blown away ? She used to be an auto buy, but has slipped down to my 'maybe, if all my friends like it, I might read it' shelf. She has a good writing voice, but since she started cutting her word count back so much, the books have lost a lot of flavor, IMHO.

Norma That's just how I felt. I was enjoying it enough while reading it, but when it was done I felt nothing. It wasn't anything special. It was almost two separate stories for me--one about Sadie and one about Vince.

Michelle [Helen Geek] You know, I have this one and have been saving it for a day when all else fails because this author has been that consistent for me. I hate what you are saying because maybe she is hitting that point. You know the point I mean .. not sure if they run out of ideas, don't take it as seriously as they used to, wrote it when they really didn't have time because of a contract, or exactly what, but I HATE WHEN THAT HAPPENS!! Hmm.. my rant is over now .. thanks!

Norma Michelle, I know just what you mean. RG is an auto buy for me, but sometimes there comes a point where an author just starts putting books out for the sake of putting books out (Linda Howard comes to mind) and it's heartbreaking for us true fans.

Anne OK I really hated writing this review and it hurt me to do so. Rachel Gibson has always been an auto-buy and one of my favorite contemporary romance authors.

As we all know, other readers may see this book through entirely different lenses. I just know I went through it twice and came out on the other side feeling the same way each time.

Michelle [Helen Geek] You wrote "The “Friends With Benefits” package is pushed too far without the much-needed relationship development in the “friends” arena.". I haven't read this yet, but life has taught me, if you aren't a friend then this is more of a f*#k buddy relationship. Those are good too, but not something to write a romance about. Very well done and love the honesty.

message 12: by Kristen (new) - added it

Kristen Great review, Anne. Sorry this one didn't work out for you.

message 13: by Jill (new)

Jill I've been having a lot of trouble recently finding a good contemporary romance that doesn't hit some of my buttons, so I understand how you feel. Wonderful review, Anne.

KatLynne Great review Anne. I love Gibson too and I can understand how this was a difficult review for you to write. But it was done beautifully and I loved your honesty.

So sorry to hear your grandson had an ER visit. I hope all is well with him. My son has asthma and I remember those days well.

♡Karlyn P♡ "Even the happily-ever-after suffers from an abrupt ending that feels rushed."

Sadly, this becoming a classic Gibson ending. The 'magic wand' presto! Everything is forgiven, resolved, and forgotten.

Great honest review, I can sympathize completely. I've reread most of her earlier books! I still recommend any of her earlier books before the women's writing club series.

message 16: by Brittany B. (new)

Brittany B. Which books by Gibson do you like most? I'm thinking of reading a book, but don't know which one to start with.

message 18: by Norma (last edited Jul 06, 2012 03:24AM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Norma I agree with See Jane Score and I'll add Truly Madly and Tangled Up In You.

I'm fairly certain I was told by a lot of people to start with See Jane Score. I did and love it

Splage Great, honest review...bless your heart;) I like to pick up RG when I don't want to think, sorry it was a miss for you, but you are right her last few books have not been up to the first books I read of hers.