Robert's Reviews > The Darkest Evening of the Year

liked it
bookshelves: mystery
Recommended to Robert by: Beth
Read in June, 2008

I enjoyed this book more than the previous one that I had read by Koontz and this may not be my forever review of it.

It includes, not one (like the previous book), but two elements that are a turn off for me: (1) metaphysical/supernatural/spirtual events and solutions, and (2) animals in jeopardy. The reason the latter is a problem likely doesn't make sense to most people. I've noticed over the years that story tellers, in either books or movies, often use the tragic death of an animal -- especially a dog -- as a cheap way of striking an emotional cord -- horror, hate, sympathy, anger, etc. Then the human protagonist survives and we're supposed to feel good about the capacity of humans to overcome. Instead, I usually am left with a feeling that the wrong creature as met his end, or at least that there can be no satisfactory ending without the dog's survival. My reaction is to resent the author's use of the animal. Well, this book was heavy on the former problem and had a large element of "animal in jeopardy" as well. But the latter was tolerable.

One problem was the reader -- Kristen Kairos. I read this book by audio CD and she really made Koontz's pandering barely tolerable. I think she's got a future as a morning-show hostess. She'd be in her element making Angelina Jolie's purchase of diapers sound like the emotional experience of the millenium.

I would have enjoyed the book much more without the use of the supernatural. But it was well written and a character by the name of Vanessa reminded me of several women I have known. Despite Kairos's reading, I enjoyed the first half, really liked 45% of the last half, and was most disappointed with the denouement.

To Koontz's credit, I don't think he misuses dogs in the way I had feared. I really enjoyed the enthusiasm and concern for dogs that he showed in this book. But I have no doubt that he is preaching to the choir.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Darkest Evening of the Year.

Beth It will be interesting to hear what you think of this one.

I've finally gotten to the point where I understand Moongirl's place in the story. I'd like to physically strangle that particular character! I was too busy to read as much as I like in the past week but plan to sit outside on my front porch & finish it!