Monica's Reviews > The Murder Stone

The Murder Stone by Louise Penny

Nov 20, 11

Read from November 12 to 18, 2011

I thoroughly enjoyed this book, as I have the previous three Louise Penny novels that feature Chief Inspector Armand Gamache. Not only is Penny is extremely talented in creating a wonderful murder plot, she's also a genius at creating atmosphere in her books that makes me feel as though I am right there. I could smell the forest, feel the heat, and taste the food. Because that's another thing that Penny is good at: writing a lot about the foods her characters are eating. How many times have I sat down to read and wished I had a croissant by my side!

Something a good mystery author should be good at is keeping the suspense and guessing going throughout the book. And I was kept guessing until the very end of this book.

Jacket notes: "Wealthy, cultured and respectable, the Finney family is the epitome of gentility. When Irene Finney and her four grown-up children arrive at the Manoir Bellechasse in the heat of summer, the hotel's staff spring into action. For the children have come to this idyllic lakeside retreat for a special occasion - a memorial has been organised to pay tribute to their late father. But as the heat wave gathers strength, it is not just the statue of an old man that is unveiled. Old secrets and bitter rivalries begin to surface, and the morning after the ceremony, a body is found. The family has another member to mourn. A guest at the hotel, Chief Inspector Armand Gamache suddenly finds himself in the middle of a murder enquiry. The hotel is full of possible suspects - even the Manoir's staff have something to hide, and it's clear that the victim had many enemies. With its remote location, the lodge is a place where visitors come to escape their pasts. Until the past catches up with them..."
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Murder Stone.