Kim's Reviews > The Pledge

The Pledge by Kimberly Derting

Nov 12, 2011

bookshelves: favourites, dystopia, fantasy
Read from January 01 to 04, 2012

'The Pledge' lived up to my expectations and more. While I hadn't read any reviews before reading the book, I had been told about a mixed response to the story. I'm glad I didn't have my opinions influences too much. I loved this book. It had everything I would want in a YA book: mystery, magic, romance (especially in the form of a protective male) and an action packed ending that makes me desperate to find out what happens in the next book.

'The Pledge' is set in Ludania; a country ruled, like all others in the world, by a Queen, Queen Sabara. Unfortunately the Queen is dying, with no female heir to take over, because no-one these days would risk having a King rule their country. To add to these troubles, enemies are approaching, destroying towns and causing the citizens of the city to panic. The war with neighbour countries is not resolved at the end of the book; I'm interested in seeing where, or if, the war will continues. I was a little confused at times about the attacks that were made, I might have to reread those parts to wrap my head around them. Aside from the confusion, the idea of war spices things up a bit and provides the action that I crave in novels.

Charlaina "Charlie" Hart has a secret. Despite class divisions that have been created in Ludania, - despite the law stating each class has its own language, only to be taught and spoken in that one class - Charlie has the ability to understand (and speak) all languages, even ones she's never heard of before. If her ability was discovered, she would likely be killed. Charlie struggles to keep her gift unknown. I'm impressed that her parents are able to keep a normal life, there's a big risk letting Charlie out, not that she goes around breaking the law with her gift, but one slip could cause a lot of trouble. You spend most of the book wondering why Charlie has her abilities; waiting to find out what they mean.

I really like the way 'The Pledge' is set out. There is a mix of POVs and styles. We see Charlie's scenes in first person, and she has the most page time, which is good because it is her story and it's better to see more of her and her thoughts. But with first person stories, I'm always left wondering what happens when the main character is not around. Kimberly Derting resolves this issues but switching to third person to follow three of the other main characters: The Queen, ruler of Ludania, searching for the last remaining female heir to take her place on the throne; Xander, club owner with an unknown background; and mysterious Max, with his steely eyes and who pops up around Charlie at unexpected times. I like seeing these other POVs, it makes me feel like we're looking behind the main story; being privy to hidden moments, and the things that get revealed during these scenes leave you desperate for more.

Loved it. Waiting (im)patiently for the sequel.

5/5 stars
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Pledge.

01/01/2012 page 61
19.0% "I'm really interested in the different languages thing, it'd be difficult to train yourself to look down when someone was speaking in a higher-ranked language than yours."
01/02/2012 page 88
27.0% "I really like the way this book is set out."
01/03/2012 page 189
59.0% "Oh, my Goodness! Didn't see that coming."
01/03/2012 page 249
77.0% "Oh! Oh! I think I worked out who Xander is...wow."
01/03/2012 page 272
84.0% "Oh no...I've got a feeling I know where this is headed, and I don't think it'll be good."