Katie's Reviews > Lioness Rampant

F 50x66
Nov 12, 2011

liked it
bookshelves: high-fantasy

It is never clear to me what the villain's true goal was. Was he trying to become a god?
I don't think I've mentioned this is any of the other reviews, but I always wish we learned more about Thom's character. Even though he is Alanna's twin, his character is always portrayed as not having many likable qualities. Although he serves as a vehicle for the villain's power, Thom unfortunately lacks depth.
I remember as a young adolescent I did not understand and was angry at which man Alanna ends up with. Viewed as an adult, Alanna's decision makes a lot more sense. (view spoiler) The inclusion of another seemingly casual sexual relationship was another factor in my not really caring for this book when I first read it.
As I was rereading the series, I also noticed that Tamora really seems to like the word "tartly". It wasn't overused though.
Overall, although the first book in this series will always be one of my favorites, the other three books in the quartet do not maintain that standard of excellence.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Lioness Rampant.