Wendy F's Reviews > How to Kill a Rock Star

Jun 27, 2013

bookshelves: 2013, contemporary, gritty, favorites
Read from June 24 to 27, 2013

Words & Music

"For what it's worth, I think happiness is a fleeting condition, not a permanent goddamn state of mind. I've learned that if you chase after moments of bliss here and there, sometimes those moments will sustain you through the shit."

I had this really amazing review planned, about words sounding like lyrics and the beauty of the writing, and really absolutely all of that is true. Paul and Eliza both thought things lyrically. It was beautiful.

He wasn't what I would call handsome, at least not conventionally. His face, when he wasn't smiling, had a pensive, ominous cast to it, but as soon as he grinned the severity melted into an airy radiance that made me want to touch his chest and feel his heartbeat.

The way Eliza described Paul really resonated. There were descriptions about his looks, his nose that was slightly too long and his greasy dark hair and his lanky, almost too lean, build; but it was more the way she described how he made her feel that really brought him to life. It was the passion he brought out in people that made him so incredibly sexy.

I'd never had the urge to touch anybody's chest, but Paul was so animated and energetic, I imagined a metrical, pumping drum pounding in place of a heartbeat, and I wanted to feel the rhythm. I wanted to merge with it. I wanted to be it.

And it wasn't only Paul, the way that he would describe Eliza... they had a connection. They had a connection that we long for.

Eliza has the sky in her eyes and I've always wanted to touch the goddamn sky.

It was this connection, this link between them, that caused the second half of this book to ROCK YOUR MIND. Did you like the review up there? Did it make you want to pick up this book? Should you? Yes! I would recommend this book. I would also recommend that you come prepared to rage at the pages. Bring your zen, people. You are soooo going to need it.

This book was not all pretty prose and love. It was 'I will rip your guts out and fling them at you'.

You have been warned.

After licking his neck, I wanted to dive into his throat and slide down his esophagus and swim around inside his hands while he strummed.
11 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read How to Kill a Rock Star.

06/25/2013
32.0% "This book scares the shit out of me. I'm gonna get my heart broken."
06/27/2013
74.0% "I have never been this PISSED OFF at a book! What a goddamn waste!" 1 comment
06/27/2013
85.0% "I REFUSE to cry! Fucking BOOK"
show 1 hidden update…

Wendy F It's good so far! At 14% and I've already laughed outloud a few times, and swooned a little.

Stacia (the 2010 club) I love that the rock star life in these books is more realistic - very struggling musician, and not overblown glamour.

Wendy F Yeah, I love that too. And I love all the talk about mainstream music too. I may like it, but at the same time I also agree with them.

Carina Wendy I need to talk! I'm at the 20% mark and (view spoiler)

message 7: by Stacia (the 2010 club) (last edited Jun 25, 2013 09:24PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Stacia (the 2010 club) Oh and watching this conversation...

(view spoiler)

Carina Oh my GOD! I love this man!!!
All I keep thinking in my head is "Holy shit, holy shit!"
(view spoiler)

Thanks for the support Amy ;)

Stacia (the 2010 club) I'm assuming you mean Paul?

Carina Yes, him. I love reading from his PoV, he's soooo weird! And by weird, of course I mean totally awesome!!

(I really need to lay off the exclamation point!!)

Stacia (the 2010 club) I like that he's not a traditional character. In my mind, he's not attractive at all.

Carina His train of thought is so out of the ordinary, and yet it makes total sense. I love it.

I do picture him sexy, but not in a regular way. It's hard to explain. His attractiveness is just like his personality in my mind.

Stacia (the 2010 club) Tiffanie DeBartolo says this musician is close to how she envisions Paul. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wck_D5...

Carina Hmmm, not exactly what I was picturing in my head, but it's always nice to see what the authors images are like.

Stacia (the 2010 club) Not what I pictured either but I also like seeing the author's ideas.

Wendy F LOL, that's funny because I can TOTALLY see it. The longer slightly stringy dark hair, the thinner body frame, the nose just a hair too long.

Okay, Carina, about Paul (view spoiler).

The bit question (view spoiler)

I'm at 43%, are you there? I have quite a bit to say!

I looove Paul! I love them together! And I'm so fricking scared about how this is going to end. Like I feel like there is an anvil hovering over my heart waiting to crush it.

Carina Paul is a great character. So is Eliza, but for some reason, I don't feel as strongly about her as I do about him.

I'm 33% and just picked it up again to read until I can't keep my eyes open any longer!
Talk to me woman! lol

Wendy F Hahaha!! I like Eliza well enough. I'm naturally harder on the chicks, and I'm not finding myself too annoyed with her.

But I agree, I'm definitely more attached to Paul.

I have such a bad feeling though. Can I tell you my theory, or are you one who doesn't like to hear them? Just in case I'm right and it's a spoiler?

Carina I have a theory too!!
But yes, tell away. I love hearing theories. And use a spoiler if you must ;)

Wendy F Okay! My gut is saying that (view spoiler). I hope I'm wrong, but I just have a really bad feeling about that.

Carina I have no idea (view spoiler)

Carina I meant Loring!

Wendy F Loring (view spoiler).

I'm TERRIFIED! I feel like this book is just waiting, biding it's time before it's going to crush my spirit, lmao.

Wendy F Oh my GOD! 57%, and I am PISSED OFF!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Carina I just read it! OMG, NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Stacia (the 2010 club) *goes back for a popcorn refill*

Carina I'm sure you're very entertained.
Do you see why I had been holding off? Is this what you wanted from me woman?? Have you seen my status updates? I'm losing it here!!

Stacia (the 2010 club) You've only just begun. I'm not even joking.

Carina I'm at 65% now, can I HATE Eliza anymore???? Seriously??

Stacia (the 2010 club) I just commented to that on your status update.

Ash Wednesday Round of xanax hugs for everyone, on me :)

Carina Screw the Xantax, I need Vodka or Tequila....

Wendy F I am so fricking pissed. I hate Eliza! I had to put it down and sleep at 63%, but I woke up still so pissed off! She is the most immature horrible female character I've read in a while and her dumbassness hits you like a sledgehammer in one stupid swing!

And why she just doesn't (view spoiler)

Soooooooo fucking pissed!! It is all pointless pain!

Carina Same page Wendy, same page.
I swear, I haven't hated a female character this much in a loooooong time.
As you can see, I woke up and I too am still pissed.

Wendy F GRRRRR, where are you at? Did you hit 81% yet?

AND, I'm really sad for Loring too because (view spoiler)

Carina I stopped at 79% last night, but I just dropped Yosi off at school and I have a couple hours before work, so I'm gonna read a bit.

I despise Eliza with a passion! I do feel bad for Loring, but not too much. (view spoiler)

Wendy F I think Loring is just trying to (view spoiler).

Wendy F I'm here, waiting for your rants... btw.

message 39: by Katy (new) - added it

Katy Haha all this yelling makes me want to read this book :p

Carina Oh my god....I'm crying.
81% and then 82%!!!!!
Oh Wendy, I can't. I can't.....cause I know whats coming...

Are you there? Are you feeling what I'm feeling???

Carina And now I'm sobbing......

Where is my heart Wendy? I have this hole in my chest where my heart should be, and it's letting my sould leak out.
It hurts....

message 42: by Ash Wednesday (last edited Jun 27, 2013 08:01AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Ash Wednesday You guise(view spoiler)

Tag to be clicked after finishing the book.

Carina Oh. My. God.
86%
86-fucken%

Wendy F I'm here! LMFAO! Carina, man, I was where you are just an hour ago! Except I didn't cry. I held that back out of pure rage! The only thing that prevented me from spintering apart was sheer soaring rage.

I finished... just hold on Carina, hold on.

Carina I'm done.

I don't know how to feel. I'm very conflicted.

Wendy F lol, yeah.... your thoughts are my thoughts.

On one hand (view spoiler).

I am very conflicted.

Carina I feel the same way.
I know Eliza did it out of love, but I really do feel she went about it the wrong way.
Put us throu hell (view spoiler)

I'm extremly conflicted about the rating and my thoughts for the review.

Wendy F lol! I can't wait to see your review then. I'm struggling too. I probably won't write it until tonight, until I'm calmer. otherwise it's gonna be a lot of this 'fuckity fuck fucking fuck', lmao.

Carina Haha, me too!

Wendy F I'm pretty sure I'm at a 4star though. For Paul, he was a wonderful character. And for the first half with them falling in love. Also, I liked (view spoiler). i just didn't like the middle stuff that was just all sorts of stupid, so I can't do more than 4.

« previous 1