Laura's Reviews > The Lady in the Tower

The Lady in the Tower by Jean Plaidy

Jun 01, 2008

it was ok
Read in June, 2008

I was disappointed that this novel wasn't more engaging. I didn't know much about Anne Boleyn (except what I knew from The Tudors) before I read this.

It started off pretty well, but by the time Anne has decided that she will accept Henry VII's advances, the story just dragged on. I understand that the author was trying to stay true to reality (-ish) but I think some events could have been fast-forwarded over.

And it was very confusing trying to remember who was whom and how they were related. At one point, Anne mentions that "Mary" comes to visit. It took me a while to figure out she ultimately meant her sister. Not Henry's sister, not Katherine's daughter, and not one of the umpteenth people named "Mary". The author could have clarified such little annoyances.

I never got a good sense of why Anne did what she wanted. Even though the novel is written in first person, the narration is very much cobbled together descriptions of what other characters think, or seem to think, about Anne.

I may try a few of the other novels by Ms. Plaidy (or her numerous pseudonyms) but that's not high on my list.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Lady in the Tower.

08/24/2016 marked as: read