Jennifer's Reviews > A Beautiful Blue Death

Nov 14, 2011

it was ok
bookshelves: what-i-read-in-2011
Read from November 12 to 14, 2011

How did the editor not catch a major error like how long the maid had been in her new job? According to two characters, she's been there for 3 months, while another, who had met her at the new place of employment, had known her for almost a year. More problematically, the characters are 21st century morals and ethics in the mid-19th century. And how does a man wear a dinner jacket to the biggest event of the London season in 1865? And last, how, after making a big deal at the beginning of the book about how expensive and difficult it is to obtain the poison that killed the maid, can the big reveal end up using that point as a total throw away, and barely worth mentioning? Picky, maybe, but these incongruities are the type of things I find jarring in a book, and take me out of the enjoyment of the story. Some of these issues may be first novel problems that smooth out as the series continues, but I have too many other things to read to take the time to find out.
3 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Beautiful Blue Death.

03/27 marked as: read