Grace Fonseca's Reviews > Legend

Pub Date: November 29, 2011
Genre: Young Adult Dystopian
My Copy: ARC got at BEA-Book Expo America

Book Synopsis:

Born into an elite family in one of the Republic’s wealthiest districts, fifteen-year old June is a military prodigy committed to her country.

Born into the slums of the Republic’s Lake Sector, fifteen-year-old Day is the country’s most wanted criminal.

From different worlds, June and Day have no reason to cross paths-until the day June’s brother, Metias, is murdered. And Day becomes the prime suspect.

Now, caught in the ultimate game of cat and mouse, Day is in a race for his family’s survival while June tries desperately to avenge Metias’s death. But in a shocking turn of events, the two uncover the truth of what has really bought them together and the sinister lengths to which their country will go to keep its secrets.

Book Review….

What first caught my attention about this book was the cover. I saw the shiny Silver and a Gold Logo on it and got curious about it. The blurb sounded interesting enough and I picked it up. Thought the book was amazing. Utterly amazed by how well written this was. Just when I thought I had enough of YA Dystopian novels, this one made me like it based on the story and the writing.

Normally I don’t like books that switch between characters voices, because sometimes it gets hard to understand. Very few books can switch the narrative between two characters, but in this case it works. The writer understands that both June and Day live in very different worlds. We are taken through a journey with both of these characters. You immediately like both of them, at least I did. What makes each of them unique is their ability to react very human like.

Even though the characters come from very different backgrounds, I found it amazing that they are still human beings and want to care for people. Day cares for Tess and tries to help her to the best of his ability. Day finds that his own family is being targeted as well. There is a plague going on in the poorer sections of the Republic. This will have important ramifications near the end of this book.

June wants to do well. She’s a cadet or officer in training. Her brother Metias is her guardian and only family. June loves her brother and they have a very loving brother-sister relationship. It’s very evident in the beginning of the book. When her brother dies, she is devastated and doesn’t show it in front of the other officers, but grieves in private. You really feel that grief.

She vows to bring her brother’s killer to justice thinking it is Day, but will later find out that’s it not. When June is given the assignment to track Day, she leaps up at the chance. Little Does June realize that Day is not responsible, but rather an escape goat to cover up something far more sinister. When June and Day meet it is not under the best of circumstances. June pretends to be someone else. Never lets Day know who she really is.

June and Day grow close, but ultimately June betrays him. June feels guilty and ashamed after she discovers some new evidence and finds that Metias left her information. June has a decision to make. She doesn’t know if it’s the right one, but feels that is the right one. The end of this book was filled with so many action packed moments were great. It was like a roller-coaster.

I really loved the way this book flowed. The only thing that I didn’t like about the book and it was one minor little thing….Day’s point of view was in this Gold Lettering and kind of made it hard to read at times. Hope they change this to a darker color.

Overall a great book.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Legend.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Paula (new) - added it

Paula M. Burns Great! I need to read this book! :)