Marco Kaye's Reviews > Prep

Prep by Curtis Sittenfeld

Nov 24, 11

bookshelves: nyu-craft-course
Read from November 12 to 14, 2011

An incredibly honest, funny book. Reading Prep is like listening to The Smiths. It will bring back all your high school heartache in the best way imaginable. Sittenfeld has an incredibly observant eye and sharp mind, especially when it comes to cliques of young women. The structure of the book is tightly wound. Each chapter not only takes place within one semester, but also Sittenfeld introduces two dissimilar plot points that eventually come together in a surprising way. Though the structure is tightly wound, Sittenfeld lets her sentences go wild. Lee Fioria, our mild-mannered protagonist with a sharp wit, says this about reading aloud in class: "I knew that my voice would come out quivery and breathless and that my consciousness of this fact would only exacerbate it until, ultimately, my own agitation would make it physically impossibly to endure another second. It would seem as if the moment would simply fold in on itself, though what a moment folding in on itself entailed I wasn't sure—spontaneous combustion perhaps, or perhaps the floors would buckle and we'd be rolled in on ourselves like ingredients in a gyro." If you like sentences like those, you'll love Prep. It's a great book.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Prep.