Craig Lindsay's Reviews > A Moment in the Sun

A Moment in the Sun by John Sayles

Dec 19, 11

Read from November 12 to December 16, 2011

I love Sayles' work, and at 955 pages you've got to. I first read his Union Dues in the late 70's and have followed him ever since. His movies are terrific--Brother from Another Planet, Lone Star, Matawon for starters. A Moment in the Sun is an epic based closely in history (perhaps the underbelly of history) at the turn of the 19th Century. It has a number of threads: the dispossession of blacks and imposition of Jim Crow, ending of the frontier war and beginning or imperial wars (Cuba and Philippines), workers and unions mostly from a mining perspective, social/class relations including those among Filipinos. Oh and I missed technology--the infancy of the movie industry. Not all the threads get tied up in the sense that I feel there is more story there and but he found a good resting place. He made a movie of the part of the book on the Philippine insurrection: Amigo. It was at the Hollywood on weekend but I wasn't able to go. It isn't out on Netflix yet.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Moment in the Sun.