Cynthia's Reviews > La Esperança, Volume 01

La Esperança, Volume 01 by Chigusa Kawai

F_50x66
Jun 01, 08

bookshelves: yaoi, manga, dmp
Recommended for: yaoi fans only
Read in January, 2007

[Review of 1-4]

One of the first yaoi (boys love) titles I read when I started getting into the genre last year.

It starts out with a lot of promise, has a nice atmosphere and the backdrop of having the setting at a Catholic boy's school is fairly nice, compared to many yaoi manga where it just kind of happens in a featureless void that's entirely set up just to get the two main characters together. (ok, so not that bad, but you get the idea.)

The characters are fairly well done, even if having one boy being the dark angsty one and the other one cheerful and feminine is beginning to look a little standard. Unfortunately, after volume 2, the plot was going nowhere fast. I liked parts of the character's inner monologues, but the plot (or lack of it) was nonexistent and wanders quite a bit.

By volume 4, the mangaka's tendency to draw the character's mouths squished up against the nose in the middle of the face was really bothering me. I know many early volumes of series start off with rough art, but come on- they were really starting to look kind of monstrous and that kinda ruins the whole lovey-dovey vibe for me.

If you are a yaoi/shounen-ai fan, you might like this title, but everyone else, stay far, far away.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read La Esperança, Volume 01.