Tai Harris's Reviews > Writing Down the Bones: Freeing the Writer Within

Writing Down the Bones by Natalie Goldberg

U_50x66
Nov 12, 11

Read in July, 2009

I am always in search of a book that discusses and give personal experiences and exercises on perfecting the craft of writing. “Writing Down the Bones” is a great beginner’s reference book for aspiring writers and writers experiencing writer’s block. I found this book to be very insightful in aiding me to keep my fingers on the keys and my pen on paper; to get my creative juices flowing again. Goldberg offers timed exercises that get you to write without thinking. She says “Of course you can sit down and have something you want to say. But then, you must let its expression be born in you and on the paper. Don’t hold too tight; allow it to come out how its needs to rather than trying to control it” (39). Her advice has not only helped me create pieces that I am confident will someday be published; her book has helped me get passed my brain in order to explore words and writing without control. I recommend to all writers.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Writing Down the Bones.