Wendy's Reviews > The Dirty Life: On Farming, Food, and Love

The Dirty Life by Kristin Kimball

Nov 12, 2011

liked it

I'd like to give it 3.5 stars, but since it won't let me, I'll have to go with 3. She gives a full and amazing description of the work involved in starting their farm. Any romantic notions of the life of organic farming, or working with teams of horses rather than tractors are absolutely put into perspective. You can feel the sheer exhaustion, but at the same time, feel the love and dedication they had (and still have) to making it work.

What I would love to have seen much more of in the book was the author's personal feelings. Did she agonize with the decision to leave her city life? How did she and her husband hold it together in those early trying times? I found myself forgetting that she loved him throughout the book because so little was said about her feelings toward him through their challenges. Maybe she was too tired to think about it, or write about it, or maybe it was too personal to put those difficult feelings out there. In the end, it's clear that they love each other a great deal, I just felt like it got a little lost along the way through all the work of puttin together the farm.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Dirty Life.

Molly I totally agree about wanting to know more about her feelings, it would have added a lot to a good book.

message 2: by Marija (new)

Marija I also agree with this comment. I didn't realize that's why this book left me a little cold until I read what you said about it - spot on!