Dawn's Reviews > The Pioneer Woman: Black Heels to Tractor Wheels

The Pioneer Woman by Ree Drummond

Nov 12, 2011

liked it
Read on November 12, 2011

I picked this up mostly because I've followed her blog at The Pioneer Woman off and on for a while. Mostly the cooking section, because she uses real butter like a real person, and she taught me to make Quiche. You should go there. She has also strongly informed my own recipe blogging style.

Ree tells the story of how she went from life in LA to living with her husband on his cattle ranch, surprising everyone (including herself) along the way. It's a sweet little real life romance, and a romance that continues still. Just ask her about chaps. Really.

She has extended her comfortable talking-over-the-kitchen-table voice from her blog to this autobiographical piece, and it actually works, which somehow surprises me. It's like reading an extra long blog post, but in the best way possible. Like when you stumble over a new blog, fall in love, and then go through the back posts to get caught up. Without the annoying scrolly-clicky parts.

All in all, it's a lightweight, sweet-but-not-unrealistic story, perfect for those days when you feel a little too cynical.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Pioneer Woman.