Hillary's Reviews > Carnet de Voyage

Carnet de Voyage by Craig Thompson

Jun 01, 08

Read in June, 2008

I probably preferred this to Blankets, partially because of lowered expectations, due to the form, a loose travel journal/sketchbook. Also, it helps that Thompson seems to have become a little less uptight, and the whining tends to be undercut with self-conscious acknowledgment and mocking of it. That's not true, however, for his use of the term "lover" throughout, which makes me cringe, accurate or not. The art is pretty wonderful, though, and inspiring (it would be more so if I could or wanted to draw at all, but, as is, it does make me want to travel--not necessarily to the desert on a camel but at least to go eat delicious things), and the Lewis Trondheim cameo (they play laser tag and Trondheim draws himself) is wonderful and funny and makes me think of how much I love Trondheim. It's also wisely ended at the point it is. Much more complaining about his hands hurting and his homesickness and how much he misses his now ex-girlfriend would have countered its charms, swinging my overall impression of the book to negative rather than positive.
3 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Carnet de Voyage.