Sally's Reviews > Everneath

Everneath by Brodi Ashton

Mar 15, 2012

liked it
bookshelves: 2012-reads, alternate-worlds, review-still-to-write, greek-mythology
Read from March 05 to 15, 2012

Hmmm. I was a little disappointed by this one. Maybe my expectations of it were too high after seeing so many 5 star reviews of it?
I felt like it was more than 150 pages of just waiting for SOMETHING (Anything?) to actually happen, and the whole book was confusing and a bit dull. The writing style is very detached, and I couldn't really connect with Nikki.
Usually I love it when the narrative jumps backward and forward between past and present, gradually revealing the full story, but in this case it took so long for anything to be explained, and we don't find out what happened the year before to change everything until so far into the book. This made it feel like I was just reading and reading something I didn't understand, just waiting for it to be explained to me and start making sense.
On the plus side- I did like the relationship between Nikki and Jack (when it EVENTUALLY came through), and I felt like they had a real bond. They do really love each other.
I feel like I'm the only person on the planet to feel that this book was only good- it was okay, but not brilliant.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Everneath.