Kereesa's Reviews > Seraphina

Seraphina by Rachel Hartman

Sep 01, 12

bookshelves: own, 2012, friendship, canadian-love, high-fantasy, romance, young-adult, were-something, own-hardcovers
Recommended for: Fans of Pierce/Fans of Medieval Fantasy
Read in August, 2012 — I own a copy, read count: 1

Seraphina was one of my most anticipated titles this year, not only because it looked awesome and featured dragons, but because it looked like it could fill the empty part of me that clamors, most unkindly, that it'll probably be like another 3 or 4 years before I can ever read another Tamora Pierce Tortall novel.

Sadness.

And for the most part, I really did like Seraphina. It has the right story, the right plot, the right characters, and the right world; everything about really is worthy of the praise it deserves.

But, but, why didn't you love it Carissa? Why isn't it on your favorites shelf?

Yeah, I don't have a fucking clue.

It was good, don't get me wrong, but something about Seraphina just didn't click for me. It's like this restaurant, Mexi's. See when I was in first year, Mexi's was this place we went to all the time.

I mean seriously, ALL THE FREAKING TIME.

And they had these really good taquitos. Seriously, I still dream about them. They were fantastic. Then Mexi's closed down, and re-opened under new management and staff.

And the taquitos? Sucked.

I'm not sure what happened, to be honest. My bf thinks it's because they used to put in some kind of spice or herb that made them just better. Either way, we ain't eating at Mexi's anymore.

So yeah, Seraphina put some more herb in your mix that's kind of how I feel about Seraphina.

Weird, right?

All in all, Seraphina is a really good book filled with depth, great world building, and so much potential to be an amazing series. Read it, seriously do. Like my brief affair with Daughter of Smoke and Bone, I have a feeling the sequel and a re-read will bring my status about these novels from like to love. Until then, I'll keep dreaming of taquitos.

4-4.5/5

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Seraphina.