bookczuk's Reviews > The Hindi-Bindi Club

The Hindi-Bindi Club by Monica Pradhan

Nov 18, 11

bookshelves: bookcrossing, foodie, places-i-have-been
Read from November 12 to 15, 2011

It's a real shame for Monica Pradhan that AMy Tan is such a good writer, and spoiled most readers for this type of mother-daughter novel with the wonderful Joy Luck Club. This book has its' own charm, but pales in comparison to JLC. There were elements I liked a great deal in this: some of the characters, particularly the older generation. Their stories fascinated me. The younger women not as much, but there still were some surprises. Loved salavating over the descriptions of food and the recipes included with each chapter. Having spent much time in Maharastra in India, it was fun to read about Pune and places/foods that were more familiar to me. However, the thing that completely sold me on the book was the afterward where Pradhan told of the two charities she's adopted to promote reading and literacy, and has promised a portion of royalties to do so. They are www.aseema.org and www.roomtoread.org , which, interestingly enough, just got a great mention here as well. Very inspiring.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Hindi-Bindi Club.

11/12/2011 page 80
19.0% "Enjoying this way more than I ought to, especially the recipes."