Juhina's Reviews > On a Dark Wing

Dec 19, 11

bookshelves: for-review, netgalley, ebook
Read from November 12 to 15, 2011

3.5/5

When I first read the synopsis of On A Dark Wing I honestly didn’t know what to expect, and 100 pages in, I also didn’t know what the book was about. Don’t get me wrong, after the initial slow start of the book, it gets VERY exciting and thrilling and I honestly wasn’t able to put it down.

The story is mainly centered around Abbey Chandler, Abbey lost her mother 5 years ago, and she blames herself, there is some guilt she can’t clearly explain but she feels that she cheated her mom by living and her dying. Abbey is considered a weirdo, a loner. She only has one friend, who is in a wheelchair due to an accident he survived when he was 12. She however pines and fantasizes over Nate Holden, who we only know as a guy who loves mountain climbing, and his dream is to climb mount. Denali. Nate was a big part of this book but I honestly didn’t know anything about him, I would have really liked if I knew more about his character, but throughout the whole book I only knew him as Abbey’s crush.

There is a twist in the romance in the story, *spoiler* We all know how much Abbey is in love with Nate and I was rooting for both of them, but towards the end Abbey somehow comes to the conclusion that who she truly loves is actually her friend, and Nate was just an infatuation, I don’t know why the author switched sides, since both showed no interest in each other, but at the end it was a cute romance, I only wished it developed earlier in the book.

Death, has always remembered Abbey from the time he went to collect her mother’s soul when the car accident occurred when she was ten years old. By using Nate, he wanted to get closer to her; you could say he wanted a chance at humanity, but because of his selfishness he is risking the lives of both Nate and Abbey. This is where Nate’s climbing experience turns to a nightmare and Abbey has to finally confront her guilt she had pent up for the last five years.

I really enjoyed Nate’s POV, especially him trying to survive and save his friend when they both got avalanched. I still didn’t learn anything about him, but it was interesting to read about. Abbey was frustrating at the beginning, especially the relationship with her dad, but I get why she treated him that way, she still had to resolve her guilt and problems. I’m glad they finally opened up to each other, while this wasn’t the happily ever after ending, they were on the road to getting there.

Overall the book was slow at the beginning but when the questions I had finally start to get answered, and lives were on the line, I couldn’t put the book down. The book was full on mysterious, creepy, and thrilling at the end. Even though I had some issues with it, overall it was enjoyable and gave me the shivers!
2 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read On a Dark Wing.

11/12/2011 page 20
show 6 hidden updates…

Gina (My Precious Blog) My feelings mirrored yours about the beginning. I was a bit bored with the slow start, then confusion set in. I wondered how the author was going to tie together the three seperate stories: cyber bullies, mountaineering and dealing with the death of a loved one. Once I started to comprehend what was going on, I was hooked. I found it hard to put down. I'm not finished yet, I'm about 65% through, but I'm wondering what did you take off two stars for? What is plot, characters, writing style or something else? Just curious?

Juhina Gina wrote: "My feelings mirrored yours about the beginning. I was a bit bored with the slow start, then confusion set in. I wondered how the author was going to tie together the three seperate stories: cyber..."

the slow start, very confusing at the beginning, i almost put it down. also, the conclusion and wrap up was a bit unrealistic to me, things ended too suddenly. Writing style is fine, but i wished there was more interactions between the characters or dialogue. Also we barely know anything about Nate, and he occupies a huge part of the story. I just felt i only got a glimpse of their lives and by the time i was hooked the story ended.

oh its actually a 3.5/5 on my blog, but there is no 3.5 here. Let me edit that.

Gina (My Precious Blog) Juhina wrote: "Gina wrote: "My feelings mirrored yours about the beginning. I was a bit bored with the slow start, then confusion set in. I wondered how the author was going to tie together the three seperate s..."

Thank you so much for the detailed and enlightening explaination. Your reasons make perfect sense. Thanks for sharing! :0