Katharine Kimbriel's Reviews > Ghost Ship

Ghost Ship by Sharon Lee

Nov 11, 11

bookshelves: science-fiction
Recommended for: Miller & Lee fans, space adventure/opera fans, fans of SF with strong characterization
Read from October 27 to 28, 2011 , read count: 1

A new Liaden Universe novel is cause for rejoicing. At long last, we find out what happened after I DARE and SALTATION. Theo Waitley’s life may have long stretches of peace connected to it, because she’s a commercial pilot, a long-hauler who works alone. But she’s also a child of house Korval, and scarcely knows what that means. She has been linked through no fault of her own to an ancient self-willed ship – technology that is banned on some worlds, where on other worlds people will kill you for it. Theo has assassins tracking her, a retired Boss of organized crime as her only possible copilot, a possibly mortally wounded problem lover who only she can help – Theo’s life is about to get a lot more complicated.

Now, her mother wants to talk with her. And Theo does NOT want to have that talk, because Theo does not want to explain that the man they thought they knew, Theo’s father, was a cover for a retired Liaden Scout...a man who had killed men and ships, and carries the ghost of his dead wife in his head.

If there is any flaw to GHOST SHIP, it’s that we now know so much about the Liaden universe that cameo appearances by otherwise deeply important people can slightly jar the rhythm of the book. A good book hints at depths we haven’t touched, but the Liaden universe can be like the Fool in a tarot deck – a misstep can send you tumbling down a cliff. This book pauses with a deep breath, but as often happens with Liaden books, many threads carry over to the as yet unpublished sequel.

I have enjoyed the strange world Theo has grown up upon, and her adventures, but I wouldn’t start with GHOST SHIP. Back up to FLEDGLING, or even to the very beginning, to AGENT OF CHANGE -- this is THE AGENT GAMBIT in its current publication incarnation.

This series is recommended!
2 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Ghost Ship.